Sleeping question

My 16 month old son refuses to go to sleep unless we rock him to sleep in our arms, then manage to put him in his crib without waking up. This is getting REALLY old. Any suggestions? We're not CIO parents.
Also, he requires this when he wakes during the night, and eventually ends up in our bed. What has worked for you guys with this stuff? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 5:11 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 9 month old is the exact same way, he has to be rocked to sleep, and then I have to carefully put him in his crib. He will sleep in there for a couple of hours but then he will wake up and have to be rocked again and usually the second set of rocking fails and I have to put him in the bed with SO and I. I have tried everything I can think of other than CIO.
    Hopefully you get some good advice, because I could use some too.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I'm right there with you. My daughter is the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I am not a CIO parent, either. But when DD was almost a year, I did it JUST ONCE for about 20 minutes and she has been a good sleeper ever since. I didn't just 'abandon' her. I let her cry for 10 minutes or so, then went in and hugged her, laid her back down covered her. Patted her back for a few minutes and told her it was time to sleep. I left the room and she immediately stood up screaming again. I let her cry for another 10 minutes and repeated the process. I wanted her to know that I was there for her, but that I wasn't going to get her out of bed because it was time to sleep. Couldn't believe she got it after just one night!

Have you tried music? Since DS was a baby, we've always had music playing in his room at night. Soft, classical (make sure it's 'gentle' music--some classical is quite intense). We just set the player on repeat so that it plays all night. Blocks out other noise and helps them stay asleep. Good Luck!
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 11:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2009