Screaming child

Our 16 month old likes to scream in short bursts in a high pitch sometimes, not always related to when he wants something. I know when he wants something, and we don't understand, he gets frustrated, and we're working on signs to help where he doesn't yet have the words, but even then, he's still testing us with that. What do you suggest for stopping this screaming? We're going deaf! Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 5:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some children just like the sound of their own voice and unfortunatly there isn't much you can do besides respond in a lower voice to show him what he should be doing.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 6:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• everytime he does it squirt him w/ a water bottle, it'll shock him out of it. Don't be mean about it, not a lot of water, just a squirt to divert his attention
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• LOL! Anony 9:02... he isn't a dog
    Anonymous

• Oh my gosh, I was just about to post the same question regarding our 15m old son. Usually it is for attention as well.... I'll try and message you if we have any luck. He does it in the car, and usually, it ends up with me going "SHH! No screaming" The short "shhh" sometimes helps... maybe because it surprises him.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Do a search for 'screeching' - there are some good threads with useful tips. I hoping these guys will outgrow it once they're better at communicating!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I have no idea how to help you cause my 19mnth old does the same thing..has been since he was bout 10-11mnths old..lol..best is just to tell him not to scream or try and divert his attention..doesn't always work..but sometimes! I hope he'll out grow it when he can learn to speak better.. good luck and i feel ur pain
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 7:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2009