13 days old and c0ngested... Help!

So my daughter is 13 days old now... Since yesterday she has been a little congested. She isn't coughing, or acting sick in any way. She's still eating just fine, plenty of wet/dirty diapers, however I feel bad. Because it was Christmas, I let certain family members (my mother, sister, her great-grandmother, etc) hold her. I knew I should have waited until she was older, but I didn't so I feel like it's my fault. So before you bash me, just know I already feel horrible. Does steam truly help? She hates the squeezy thing with her nose, but I have to clean it ya know... Also it's a yellow color, how bad is that? I've always heard green is infection; you want white or clear... She has a doctors appointment this thursday, but if she's still congested, I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get her in sooner. So is there anything I can do for today?

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 6:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No one should bash you. If they do that is just mean. We ALL make little and big mistakes so no one has room to talk down to you. Yes, steam does help. Run the shower hot and sit on the toilet holding her in the bathroom. Not too long though. And while the child sleeps lightly elevate the crib (not enough for her to slide down) on the side she lays her head, this will help her breathing. I did mine with two phone books ( one on each leg). I know right now with her being so tiny there is so little you can do and you might feel that you can't help. I remember when mine were tiny, how fragile they were. She will get better. :) I think yellow means shes starting an infection. But, you could always call your pediatrician and just ask that one question. Ask about my ideas and see what they say. I hope I have helped you. Remember, your doing great and your not alone. God bless and don't feel too awful.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 7:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Im not sure but today at Walmart I saw an electric nasal decongestor for babies, you control the suction, it's for babies and made by Safety 1st.
    ponchinmom

Answer by ponchinmom at 6:19 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• White or clear usually means allergy but yellow does not necessarily mean infection. Sometimes the dry air in houses in winter can cause congestion. A cool mist humidifier can help with that because it helps their noses stay moist without having to overproduce mucus. Use saline drops from time to time and the nasal aspirator (no babies like those but they are necessary sometimes) Look out for doing it too much though because it can cause irritation.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• DO NOT give her any meds, she doesn't need them. Stop feeling bad, so you let those who love her hold her, guess what..she's gonna get sick again & worse then what she is now. Its okay that's how her immune system develops. Yes steam makes a big difference. PP's gave good advice. Also bulb suction her nose after the steam & use nose drops designed for babies. She'll be fine mamma!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I don't know why anyone would bash you. About 15 differen people came to the hospital when I had DD and she was only not even 5 hrs old and held her. I always had hand sanitizer before they touched her tho lol. Anyways, you can't blame it on that, it happens. DD got a bit of pink eye when she was about your daughters age. But given that she's not even 2 weeks old, she is still a newborn and you should get her in ASAP. I say this because of a few things. ONE she is a newborn - even congestion can turn downhill very quickly -TWO it is cold/flu season and THREE it will put your mind to rest.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• most babies that young get congested. use saline nasal spray and an aspirator. DO NOT GIVE MEDS.
    xErinx

Answer by xErinx at 1:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• what every one else has said - humidifier, saline nasal spray and the bulb syringe. You can put a little vaseline, aquafor or baby vicks on her feet and cover them up. No meds. She may just be adjusting to the world around her and not actually ill. Keep an eye on her and if anything unsettles you, call the doctor and speak to who ever is on call that is why they are there. If you are bf'ing, your antibodies will help protect her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• definitely no meds. plug in her humidifier when she is sleeping, if its gets really bad, turn the shower on super hot and sit in the bathroom with the door closed with her, and try the little noses non medicated saline nose drips. they really do work wonders.
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 3:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2009