how to relate with my 13 y/o daughter

i have a 13 y/o daughter named savannah, she is a handful, she is nice and sweet one minute and the devil the next. she cries at the smallest things, my son was never like this, i dont know what to do i have tried to talk to her but she tells me i dont understand and to get out of her room. sometimes i just go to my room and cry.

georgia_peach63

Asked by georgia_peach63 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• This is a difficult age, just never give up on her, and don't take being kicked out of the room personally. Keep going back in there and inquire about her well being, it will pay off eventually, hang in there!

Answer by older at 8:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• It is a combination of Puberty and PMS (if she is having periods). My older was that way.  Don't let her mood swings get to you.  They will melow out in the late teen years.

Answer by louise2 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Don't take it personally. I had 3 girls and all did this. Can't be helped on her part. Make time for her and do something special just the two of you and make casual conversation and she will open up. Takes a few hours. Be patient, your sweet daughter is in that teenager somewhere and she will be back in a few years.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Don't you remember being that age and having hormones attacking you? Don't take it personally.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• puberty ....its a bitch..my sister was a crier at this age
    i was really pissy at that age
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I have three daughters. Two have gone thru puberty and I have a 12 yr old that is just starting. Its hard, but I have found that if you acknowledge the confusing feelings of puberty and let them know that its normal, its easier for everyone to deal with it. I have my favorite speech that I use, if they get to bitchy or nasty. Its called the "I am the one an only Queen bitch in this house!" lol....sounds a bit harsh, but very effective when letting them know that they need to get themselves under control. Hold on for now, they grow out of it, and you will get your sweet child back. Just support and educated them during this difficult time. And Listen when they talk!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:01 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have a 16 year old and a 12 year old who have both had this issue. I talked to them and told them that I know they think that I am ancient and can't possibly know what they are going through, but it wasn't that long ago that I did go through the same things they do. I gave them each a journal, and told them that I am there for them if they need to talk. Don't push, get more flies with honey than with vinegar!!!
    tishalb

Answer by tishalb at 5:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2010