What to do with a three year old who really does not like to eat, she only wants fluids?

when she eats, she rather have bread, bagels, muffins things of that nature. What could be the problem?

AISHAM3

Asked by AISHAM3 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First, only let her drink water. Second, stop letting her eat bread type food. When you feed her put food you want her to eat in front of her. If she refuses to eat it. Wait tell the next meal. Then put a plate of food in front of her. No snacks if she does not eat. And only non bread type snacks. She will eat if you stick to this method.

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Don't give her the fluids until she eats half of her food. Also, re adult.member that a serving size for a toddler is much smaller than an adult. Have her take 2 bites of everything, at every meal. Unless you know she really doesn't like something. After she takes the 2 bites of all her food, give her bread or something you know she will eat. She is 3, she is learning what her likes and dislikes are. She doesn't need to eat all her food, but she should be trying new foods. Don't deny the snacks, just make them healthier. She may not be hungry when it's time for meals and she shouldn't be forced to eat just because the clock says it is time to eat. Think about how you would feel if you were forced to eat when you weren't hungry or didn't like something. It could also be that she doesn't like the textures of the foods you are making.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• ya..mine only eats breakfast and lunch at school.. she refuses to eat dinner..its a phase of age 3 i beleieve...cuz some days its different then othres but ya give her food and if she doesnt eat she doesnt eat..she isnt gana die for not eating one meal..she will realize that when mommy says its good..its good...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My son has this same issue, we have seen specialists and the above two are complete opposites of what ALL the experts have said about my son's (and others like him) eating issues. My son has not been eating "normal" since he was about nine months old. We have seen just about all the people you can see: speech therapist, occupational therapist, his primary doctor, dietitians, nutritionists, neurologists, behavioralists, therapists,...the list goes on.  I even got second opinions from the same disciplines...same answer.  I feel your pain.  It did get better.  The gist of it: let her eat what she will eat when she wants to eat it.  For the most part.  I'm not going to be insulting and say don't feed her tons of junk food.  Duh.  As if you don't know.  Do find ways to pack in extra calories and good vitamins when you can.  Muffins can be made from pumpkin. Pumkim is a wonderfu

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• source of nutrition. As well as we do smoothies. And our pancakes have sweet potato added in. Where we can, then we do. Once we backed off it wasn't such a big deal. He primarily does peanut butter and nutritional drinks. You know what? He is healthier than most kids out there. Mainly because he doesn't eat junk. He's an equal opportunity discriminator when it comes to food. Doesn't even do fast food. So who cares? We do have vitamins in his diet and we did consult professionals. The main thing is that your daughter eats. My son prefers liquids too. He does carrot juice mixed with apple. The few things he does well we always have on hand. Don't sweat it. If you make it a big deal it becomes a big deal. Continue to consult her doctor and stay away from presuring her. In our house we have a no argument meal time. It used to be a battle b/c I'm a perfectionist. Now I've learned to back off.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Has she always been this way? I would have become concerned way before age 3. Sounds like is having some sort of food/mouth issues going on. Low oral motor tone, food adversions, or a problem with her swallowing. Definitely have her evaulated for eating problems
    Anonymous