How old was your child when they started to read?

My son uses the program BABY CAN READ. He says some of the words however, I have no way of knowing if he is truly reading. he is 17 months old.

PTBAAMom

Asked by PTBAAMom at 10:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• They were around 4, but I didnt use anything like that. They just learned from pre-school.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• babies cant read. that program is a farce. kids can recognize words just like they recognize pictures. but that doesnt mean they are reading and comprehending it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Babies Can Read is only teaching a child to memorize words. They are NOT reading. They are reacting to pictures. It is normal for a child to read between 4-6 years old. Most learn in Kindergarten. Some learn to read words in preschool. (Colors, numbers, preschool sight or word wall words.) Don't push your child to grow up too fast, you will miss their innocense. They will have plenty of time to learn how to read, etc. Let them be kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Um, I have seen other children who read at the age of 3, long before the Baby Can read program. I do belive some children do have the abbility to read at an early age. I think some of it has to do with how much they learn and understand and how much a person works with them. I don't belive the program is farce....yet, i may change my mind in a year or two, lol.
    PTBAAMom

Answer by PTBAAMom at 12:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My oldest began to read at about 5 but it was a real struggle until 7; and 4-6 for my middle child. My youngest is turning 5 and he can read some words, recognizes a lot more and is just now learning to really sound things out. He probably won't really "get it" for another year. The key is recognition of not only the letter but the sound that it makes as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Oldest was 5 and in kindergarten. By the end of the year she was reading at a 2nd grade level (she was still 5).
    My son was 7 and in 1st grade. He's 8 and in 2nd and still struggling a bit but finally catching on. I see him actually reading words he sees in the world around him.
    My middle daughter is 7 now and in 1st grade and starting to read pretty good but has no confidence in herself.
    My 3yo is just learning her ABCs.
    I don't push my kids to read. They will figure it out in their own time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I remember a professor mentioning something about children not even being developmentally ready to learn to read until about the age of 6. It was something about other countries waiting longer to teach their students how to read, unlike the system we use the US, and how those students pick it up quicker and they have lower illiteracy rates or something. That was a a decade ago though.
    Anonymous

• When they start to read and when they read fluently are two very different things. Both of my kids started the process around 2-3 by learning letter sounds, recognizing certain words, etc., but they didn't read fluently until many years later. I don't consider the early memorization stuff reading even though it is important to the process of learning to read. It's next to impossible to pinpoint the exact point of transition from pre-reading to "real" reading, but I think it has to do with when they start to creatively use what they have memorized. So, if a child has memorized the word "red" but can't use it to figure out the word "redness", it's not really reading yet IMO. Just because some kids do read early doesn't mean all kids can. If they aren't ready, they aren't ready.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My oldest is 5 and in the process of learning. He knows some sounds and is putting stuff together but isnt a full on reader yet.

Few more months and Im totally excited for him, he's doing great.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My son surprised us with his ability to read at age 2. The boy couldn't recite his ABCs, but he was actively reading on his own - total shock! Even now he reads well above his age level and better than most college students according to recent testing, and he's only 9.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2009