can pink eye be treated at home without a trip to the doctor?

My 4 year old has a mild case of pink eye...I've never had to deal with this before and dont know if it warrants a trip to the the doctor or if we can just continue to treat him at home (warm washclothes to the eyes and extra fluids)?

amylynnmomof3

Asked by amylynnmomof3 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There's more than one kind. One is bacterial needing antib. and the other is viral. For either one thing that helps is to put very warm wash cloths over the help to help draw out the yuck. Change it frequently as soon as it cools down but be sure to understand the depth of the temperature on your child. If he still has it tomorrow or it worsens today just call you ped. or urgent care.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• yes! they have drops at the drug store. i got them before and they work just fine. you just have to take them longer than you would a prescription. Just talk to the pharmacist!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 11:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• NO!!!! Take him to an urgent care or walk in clinic to get the eye drops. Pink eye is VERY contagious and if left untreated can cause other issues, including blindness. My uncle is an eye doctor and has told me this for years. Do NOT mess with your child's eyesight and risk everyone else in your family getting pink eye.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I work for a chiropractor, who is very much into natural treatments. -- Her children have never even had Tylenol, but when they got pink-eye, she got them the first and only antibiotics they have ever had.... I dont know much about it, but if there were a "natural' treatment, Im sure she would have known about it. =)
    Anonymous

• Colloidal silver is a good treatment, natural and no doctor needed, but it's usually best used along with meds from the doctor. Call the doc mama!
    Anonymous

• I put breastmilk in DD's eye when she had a mild case. It cleared up in a couple of days.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You can try breastmilk in the eye every hour during the day for 2-3 days along with the warm clothes or the stuff you can buy over the counter too. If this doesn't work within 2-3 days then I would go to the doc. My son is prone to them for some reason and he has had 1 a year since he was born the first and 3rd ones he needed antibiotics after it didn't clear up using the other methods, but the second and fourth were fine.
    Anonymous

• I agree that it is probably best to take your child to the doctor, but in the meantime, one thing that really helps clear up pink eye is a Lipton tea bag in a cup w/ a little bit of boiling water. Take the tea bag out of the cup and as soon as it's warm (test it to be sure it's not hot) have your child close his/her eye and put the teabag on it for about five minutes. I dont know why this helps, but it does. I had pink eye as a kid and it was really bad. My aunt did this Lipton tea treatment for me and it completely cured it. ( I don't know which pink eye your child has, so this might not work ). I hope this helps!
    Jazzmin7

Answer by Jazzmin7 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2009