How is pumping not breastfeeding?

I want to breastfeed when this baby comes out but I don't want the baby on my breast, so I'd rather pump. The hospital told me I couldn't pump while I was at the hospital and that the baby had to be on my breast. What is the big deal with that? But anyways, when I told my wic office I wanted to use the pump they told me that that wasn't breast feeding that was bottle feeding. How is that not breastfeeding? I thought as long as it was breast milk its breastfeeding. Why is it such a big deal about pumping? Can someone please help me out here, I really kind of want to use the pump with this one and not formula feed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would deliver at another hospital, that is absurd.
    I bottled fed all 4 of my children breast milk because I worked.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 11:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• If your baby's lips are touching a bottle, it's bottle-feeding. If your baby's lips are touching your breast, it's breast-feeding. I understand your logic, and it doesn't matter to me if you put it in the bottle so long as your baby is getting fed. That's the main thing. My child was bottle-fed (formula) and we are very close/attached, and he is a healthy, growing boy. A lot of BF'ing moms have to work and pump. Don't feel bad. I would check into seeing if another hospital had the same rules. Good luck.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Why would you want to breastfeed but not have the baby on your breast? That is breastfeeding. Pumping and using a bottle isn't breastfeeding, it's bottlefeeding.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• what does it matter? some people are so hung-up on having a baby hung-up on your boob...geez, i delivered in a catholic hospital, and shocker of all shockers, the nurses had bottle-fed my ds before i even tried to bf. it doesn't make a difference, as long as the baby is fed.
    get over yourselves, boobf-mommas. a boob is a boob, and what comes from it is still the same thing, whether it goes into a bottle or straight into a baby's mouth.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:59 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You would think the IMPORTANT aspect of it is that its breastmilk! Isn't that what its all about? The CONTENT of what is fed not the "delivery system"?
    Anonymous

• Getting breastmilk into a baby is what makes it breastfeeding. I have to say this though, I EP'ed for my youngest child and its hard work. I was told the same thing when I was pregnant - don't pump, feed from the breast. I have to pass this on. Its HARD. It can be done obviously but the best way to keep supply up is to feed directly from the breast. It takes so much time to pump, feed, change a diaper.
    Anonymous

• I think the hospital should be told to mind their business, this is your body,and your baby, you should be able to feed your baby as you see fit. I would tell them you want the baby to room in with you, pump, feed your baby and only use them when you need them. They can't force you to do anything you don't want to..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I would just do what you want and quit worrying about labels. Technically you are bottle feeding but your not formula feeding. I think so many women worry way too much about this stuff they don't just enjoy the pregnancy and the child when it gets here. I formula fed and was just treated awful in my community was ridiculous had to cut myself off from the negative jerks and enjoy my child. Don't worry about others calling it bottle feeding in the grand scheme of life is it really that important?
    Anonymous

• It's called human milk feeding. It's not breastfeeding because your baby is not feeding at the breast. It is still an artificial feeding method and your baby does not get all the benefits of breastfeeding including oral, facial, speech, eye, and others.

The milk you feed the baby is mixed and doesn't have the different fat concentrations that milk has when a baby is breastfeeding. You would need to feed fresh milk to meet the baby's changing needs.

It's difficult to do. Pumping is different at stimulating the breast than a baby's suckling. Many women have trouble pumping enough milk. You have to pump around the clock, that means pumping in the middle of the night and getting up with the baby in the middle of the night. You have all the problems of bottle feeding.

That's why people are telling you to feed your baby at your breast.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• How could a hospital not have a breast pump?? Bring your own. I will say my girlfriend had to exclusively pump(cleft palatte) and it was really hard, everytime a saw her she was attached to the pump. She kept it up for 3 months but it was just too demading. If your going to pump I'd at least try breastfeeding....if for no other reason than you never have to fix a bottle. So much easier to pull out a boob than to start mixing formula and cleaning bottles. Whatever you do don't let any nurse make you feel stupid. Just tell them to shut the f*ck up...you can blame it on your hormones. The point of BF is to give your baby breast milk...call it whatever you want.
    Anonymous