Questions about ADHD meds,I think.......

My son is 7 yrs old and has been on several different ADHD meds to help control himself at school, at home, in public, well everywhere. We tried Ritalin but after he started that he started skin picking. Like he has picked the skin inside his nose, on his arms, legs and hands. He has picked skin on fingers now to raw meat. He will pick his fingers at school until he makes them bleed and will squeeze blood all over his desk at school. It is awful I am worried about my baby. I am afraid he will pick the skin until he messes up the nerve endings in his fingers. I just want to know if anybody has experienced this with their kids. I have since made his doc take him of Riatalin and put him on atteroll and some others. I just want to know how I can help my son. I would appreciate if anybody has an idea where I can turn.

mistym31

Asked by mistym31 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take him off the meds & make diet changes - gluten & caseine free & also preservatives/refined sugar - all of those can have a big impact on a child's behavior whether ADHD or not. Also some supplements, certain vitamins & whatnot, can be a big help.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) problem. Which is a different thing then ADHD. I would see if you can get him into counseling. OCD can be helped with behavior threapy but sometimes unfortunatly medication is necessary. Its not uncommon for kids with ADHD to have what they call co-morid conditions (things that happen along with it) And before someone yells at me, I know not ALL kids with ADHD have co-morbid conditions just that its not an uncommon thing.
    Anonymous

• My DS has severe ADHD and we too have dealt with some bad consequences of meds! Although not as bad as the skin picking to that extreme, he just picked his lips! We had pretty good results with Adderall but switched to Vyvanse. If the dose is wrong he gets emotional, if it's too low he launches like a rocket! We've been dealing with meds for 4 years! PM me if you want to talk.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Also, some kids are NOT helped by dietary changes. ADHD, OCD, are neurological disorders which mean something is misfiring in the brain to cause the uncontrolled behaviors.
    Anonymous

• Take him to see a psychiatrist. If he has a mental disorder it probably won't be helped by diet changes and he will need meds. Take him out of school and homeschool?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I don't really have any imformation for you other than keep trying till you find what is right for your child and your family. My DD was on ADHA meds for 4. It findly got the the point where we too could not take all the side effects from the meds they give to treat it. So we just buckled down watched her food , would keep her busy as possible.( Tried our best to keep her mind busy) I don't know if it was cause we both was staying on top of it or she out grow alot of hers. But she is now 13 is doing wonderful. But we still see some effects of the meds she had taken. She wouldn't eat much when she was on the meds and didn't gain but 3 lbs in the time she was taken them so there for she miss out on alot of grow spans that other children her age was going through. But my over all i'm glad we took her off and wish I would of done it along time before I did. Good luck and just keep trying
    Anonymous

• My son (almost 7) was on ritalin - the med was wrong... different medications have different effects on the chemicals that are imbalanced. Ritalin made him a zombie. We've been on Adderall for over a year now and he has some mood swings (they're looking at autism or a sensory processing disorder for the cause of his defiant behavior, his ocd, and his attachment disorder)... but one thing I've noticed is he picks his lip constantly. Its only one spot on his lower lip in the corner of his mouth... he picks it until he bleeds and then once it dries up he's picking at it again.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Have his doctor change meds, his don't seem to be working. My son is on Vyvanse and it works wonders. Not all kids are helped my diet changes, they need the help of meds. Finding the rights meds are a guessing game, what works for one child may not work for yours. He could also have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) along with or instead of the ADHD. Please have him reevaluated by a child pyschiatrist or psychologist.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• well the picking is a sign of nervious behavior manifestation. he now is holding in all that engergy and it is breaking out in that way. nervious habit -- you know. i have heard wonderful reviews from my friends with kids on adhd meds that concerta worked for them. aderal is to calm nerviousness, so maybe the doc is thinking he isnt adhd and the hyperness is a symptom of a nervious behavior, your doc should be telling you why he chose a med. i would get a 2nd opinion ... good luck
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I have seen this and have worked with several kids this occured to. It is not too frequent but not unheard of. Part of living with ADHD also means living sometimes with other disorders. How about adding an anti-anxiety if he is not already? Sounds a lot like he also has some OCD issues as well. Those two together are very common. In the mean time if a medication is not working then we always used to tell a client to stop using them (but it came from the doctor first and then as the therapist I relayed the information). It is VERY common many families have to go through five or six before they find the right medication for them. Having a good therapist is also helpful. CBT has worked wonders. Also EMDR has helped children with ADHD speed up the healing process. Try looking into that and asking around.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2009