I am 33 weeks into my second pregnancy and beginning to lactate.. is this normal?

With my daughter I didn't lactate until after she was born. Does this sound strange to you? Have you heard of it before?

NewMomma042408

Asked by NewMomma042408 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your milk does not come in till a day or so after your child is born. It is not your milk that is leaking or at least coming in. I can't think of the word right now but it is the stuff that comes in way before your milk.
    Anonymous

• not strange at all. with your 1st pregnancy your breasts are bust growing the works needed to produce milk, and with your 2nd, 3rd etc. that process does not have to begin all over again- it is very normal for moms of 2+ to start lactating in pregnancy.

i may be the odd one, since i never stopped! lol there is a 4 year age gap between my eldest and middle child, and i never stopped lactating, not have i since my ds has been weaned. i could still produce enough to nurse a baby without having to introduce any herbals... no, its not strange, but not everyone experiences it either.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• With my first child I started leaking, it is colostrum totally normal it is just your body getting ready for the big day. Good luck and congrats on the baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• It's normal. When your baby is born your breasts will make the colostrum your baby needs. The message gets sent to the brain to make colostrum when the placenta is passed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• anon- thats not always true, especially with subsequent pregnancies. when i was pregnant with my ds, i DID produce colostrum briefly in my 4-5th months, and by the time he was born i was producing milk, he never received straight colostrum. breasts are all different, there is no standard set of rules, we're all unique. some of us fit a "normal' pattern, some do not. i had milk within the first 16 hours after my dd was born, and was already present with the other two.

most women do not begin producing milk until the 3rd day- medications received during labor, and an improper latch, or not nursing frequently enough/nursing on a "schedule", not being hydrated enough are all contributing factors to when a woman begins producing milk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Thank you everyone for easing my mind.
    NewMomma042408

Answer by NewMomma042408 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2009