To have or not to have a boy friend at 16 years old.

I am having a problem with letting my 16 year old little girl have a boyfriend, am I wrong for that, she is a good girl and I just wont to keep it that way.

HELP............. what do you think

karenmiller313

Asked by karenmiller313 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I know you aren't going to like this but she most likely has had a boyfriend of some kind that you were unaware of, and has picked this age as reasonable to want a relationship that isn't against the rules. Telling her no is more likely to change her from being good into not so good. Allowing it and having REASONABLE rules that go along with it will build trust and mutal respect in your relationship. You have to trust that you raised her well, and let her make some choices of her own. It might be hard but you have to give her some more freedom. Good luck and try to remember what it was like being her age.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Not enough info. How are you stopping her? If you control too much of her life you will ruin your relationship with her and she may even run away.

I think there is nothing wrong with controlling who she rides in cars with because of safety issues and what time she gets home at night. I was lucky and lived in a city with early curfews and I was able to just go by those times.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I would say be very careful. You don't want to put her in a position where she feels the need to have her boyfriends and live her life behind your back, rather than being honest with you. In this day and age, almost all 16 year olds have boyfriends...heck, most 12 year olds have boyfriends. More than worrying about her having them, I would be working on opening up as many paths of honesty as possible!
    mountainluvnmom

Answer by mountainluvnmom at 1:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Guide her, don't control her or she'll rebel. Let her learn how to deal with boys with your help. Get the know the young men she's interested in so she won't hide things from you. She's not a baby anymore. She's a young lady and things are changing her in life so show her how to remain a good girl because boys will try to feed her bs to get her to do things they want. Make sure she has confidence in herself and her self esteem is high so no one can take advantage of her. Talk to her about what guys say and do to make them think they "love" them...then use them and dump them. It's time to loosen the strings not tighten them. She has to experience life to know what to stay away from. I know it's scary but you have taught her this far, keep up the good work and she'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Even mormons let their children date at sixteen. If you raised her right she should be fine, just stress group dating and such so she doesn't feel presurred to do anything to sexual with any guy.
    Anonymous