Do Anglican priest/pastors/reverts marry?

Recently there was an article about the Catholic church making it easier for members to convert to Catholicism. Does this go for priest as well? And if the priest converts will he be allowed to practice in the Catholic church? If he is married will he be asked to divorce his wife?

Are they called priest ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I"m Episcopalian and our ministers can marry and men and women can be ministers not only men. That's a huge part of why I can't become Catholic although I admire a lot of other things about that religion - I believe that woman can preach and practice God to the masses just like men can.
    Anonymous

• It is my understanding that married Anglican priests can convert, and they would stay married, this is done on a case my case bases. Any unmarried Anglican priests converting would take a vow of celibacy.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• That should save reverends not reverts

but they are called ministers. Thanks

would you like to hear a cute joke about episcopalians?
    Anonymous

• Both the priesthood and married life are sacraments and so they cannot be undone or taken away - so a married Anglican priest would never be allowed to divorce his wife in the Catholic Church. So as RyansMom said If an married Anglican priest converts to the Catholic faith he can petition to be allowed to continue to practice as a priest in the Catholic Church. It's similar for Lutheran pastors as well. The petition is handled on a case by case basis.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I believe that woman can preach and practice God to the masses just like men can.

The Catholic church also believes that woman can preach and practice God to the masses. There are a great many women who preach - I personally have preached and taught to people at Catholic Churches as a Catholic religious educator.  There are women who hold leadership positions at the Vatican.  It's just that women cannot become ordained priests.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2009