Ebonics and internet typing

Why can we not rid children and adults of using it?

And, if you were a hiring manager would you refuse to hire someone because of their inadequate typing skills and their use of Ebonics, obviously regardless of their race?

And where you live are Ebonics or a just a predominant use of slang and/or improper English used by all or most races?

And, I'm not a racist, in fact I am a member of a race that often has difficulty speaking English. I am just simply tired of the use of improper English, especially at a college or professional level.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I hate it when people talk/type like that. I would NEVER hire anyone who could speak proper English. I do not associate with people like that, and will not let my children do it, either. It's a disgusting lack of self respect, and will get them nowhere in life. Where I live, many people talk like that, of ALL races. What a sad state we leave our future in.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• And, if you were a hiring manager would you refuse to hire someone because of their inadequate typing skills and their use of TEXT SPEAK, obviously regardless of their race?

Yes. Also if they are incapable of forming a complete, grammatically correct sentence during the interview process. The dumbing down of the planet is a bigger danger than global warming could ever hope to be.

Anonymous

• I live in Chicago and I am surrounded by it everyday and yes, by all races. The use of double negatives and adding "in' " to the end of a word instead of "ing" drives crazy.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 2:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I'm don't hire anyone with errors in their resume/CV, business correspondence, or bad speaking habits when interviewed. Grammar problems in spoken English are fine if it's not your first language, but if it IS your first language, there's no excuse.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the question is well written. While not against the rules, it is best to avoid starting sentences with the word and.

Many people write on the internet the way they talk. If you watch spelling mistakes on CM you can tell that mistakes may be because the person says the word wrong because they misunderstand the word.

Grammar is not stressed enough. If you miss it the few times it is taught in school you may never learn. Easy to understand grammar books are not common or popular. There is no big website about grammar. Our children's teachers may not be skilled at grammar.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• If the person's first language is NOT English, I would have a little more leniency.

If the person's first language IS English, I would not hire someone who writes in TEXT or who uses improper grammar during the interview. If a person does not care enough to have their resume or application at least proof read, I do not care enough to hire them.

Talking to friends or writing a casual comment or whatnot online is very very different from the formal aspects of a job interview. I'm originally from a Southern state and while I would use y'all in a casual environment (for example) I would NEVER use it in an interview or in a formal letter.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 2:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Oh my goodness! This really drives me crazy. I don't like all the abbreviations when typing or texting. I tell my friends to write it all out or don't email me because I don't know what they mean. I really become annoyed when people write 'U' or 'R' for the words 'you' and 'are'. Really? I can't believe that you cannot type it out.

I took a typing class in high school that was required so I am a very fast typer. It takes me no time to write things out.

rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Gaill I would rather see a sentence or question being with 'and' over seing all the abbreviations and improper word usage. I also really wish people could learn to spell. If you are unable to spell the word or use it correctly then do not use it.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Slang is common, and is ok to use in certain situations. If you are from a neighborhood where you only hear slang, guess what? That's how you will speak too. It doesn't mean the person is "ignorant".

"Proper English" doesn't exist.
    Anonymous

• Proper English exists among those of us who paid attention in class (Oh, and went to college). But you don't even have to go to college...you just have to care about how the world sees and hears you. Resumes get thrown in the trash if they do not display proper English...grammar,good spelling,etc.
    Oh, I suppose the people who apply for jobs that are so low level that they don't require a resume won't have to worry.....right? LOL.
    It does annoy me when I see a question here with Ebonics or Texting talk. I don't even read them. When someone types: "Do U ask your SO 4 a beer?", for example, I want to scream. ;-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2009