Venison and nausea???

DH cleanly got a deer this year and we had it processed into steaks, burger, chops, roast, and tenders by a reputable butcher. I cooked up some tacos with venison burger the other night and we were fine. But then I marinated and cooked up a venison steak for us a couple days ago and we both felt nauseated for like an hour after eating it. Neither of us had diarrhea or vomiting at all, and we were fine an hour afterward, but it scared me a bit.

I'm wondering if you guys think it was just overloading our systems with unfamiliar rich meat that made us nauseated or if you think something is inherently wrong with the meat (I don't know what it could be.. ! ) and we shouldn't eat any more of it at all?

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you fellow venison eaters.. ?

JamesAndMe

Asked by JamesAndMe at 2:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Same anon here...we've eaten more deer than I can count over the years, and have been slaughtering our own beef & pork too all through our marriage (we don't do those ourselves, a local butcher does, lol) and we've never had bad deer meat. Our last steer, we found out after the fact, had had some infection around the liver, my ILs last steer was butchered too young they think and it was full of gristle, tough, just gross, we had a hog once that just wasn't the greatest...I personally will take deer over any other meat any time of year. I told my hubby that if wanted to get 5 tags and fill my freezer full of deer and no other meat this year I'd be happy. But because it is better/healthier for you, it is easier to overdo - I actually talked to a couple of other people about it and they said it's very easy to eat too much of it at once because we're used to eating so much beef - it can do a number but in the end is better! :)
    Anonymous

• Has it been awhile since you ate any venison? Or do you consume some regularly, year-round? We hadn't eaten any for a couple of years, and when hubby got his deer a couple weeks ago I cooked up the tenderloin a couple of days later - he had no problems but I felt ill after eating it - we both figured it was because I just wasn't used to it. It felt like a brick sitting in my stomach. I don't think how/where it was processed matters, hubby's done his own the last couple of times and we've never had a problem. I strongly suspect it was just a little overload since it was a steak - a lot more meat at once than in a taco or two, lol! When I cook a deer roast (pretty much the only way I'll cook deer meat) I have a lot of sides along with it so that it gets well-mixed in our guts. I won't do steaks because I don't want to overload my kids, though they do love deer meat! Try more, if you're fine it's fine & it was just overload.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I have nothing against people who butcher their own deer as long as they know what they are doing. A reputable butcher is a must if you don't do it yourself. I wouldn't take a deer to just -any- butcher, but self-butchering is fine. We just didn't want to deal with it ourselves. :)

Thanks for replying Anon. I think probably you are right, that it was just too much deer, too fast. I suspected that was the case but then I couldn't find anything online about it and my mom said maybe it wasn't good meat, but I thought I'd heard something about eating unfamiliar meat making you feel kindof ill - but wasn't sure if I remembered right - obviously it is something that commonly happens and so I shouldn't worry so much about a little nausea.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 5:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Thanks Anon! We ate some more of it in a slightly smaller quantity and we were fine. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 5:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2009