Help! My 27 month old cannot write her name!

I must be a lazy mom. My daughter isn't writing her name yet or counting to 20, and I have neglected my flash card duty to "teach" her these things. I keep hearing from moms in my DDs online birth groups how their 27 month olds are singing full and perfect ABCs, counting to 20, speaking two or more languages, writing their names, etc. I also have a good friend whose children both seem to be developing cognitive skills at some amazing rates, the oldest could damn near be ready for Kindergarten at 2 and a half.
How many of you have 2 yr olds that are THIS advanced?
My 2 yr old eats crayons!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to sit her down and do drills until she gets it. A 27 month old needs to write her name. How will she ever fill out a job application or get into college if she can't even write her name. Of course you also could just grossly exaggerate her abilities online to make yourself feel good:) It's up to you.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Good grief, that's way too young for all of that. Don't push her or she'll hate learning and she has a lot of years of schooling ahead of her. At the rate you are going she'll burn out.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Seriously why push your child. Who cares if your child can not write her name? She & you will survive, I promise.
    Anonymous

• My 2 yr old can not write her name & I won't push her either. She can count to 5 if she wants to, lol. All you can do is help her out & don't push it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• my 3 yr old eats crayons! lol
    Anonymous

• Haha, my son will be 3 in Feb. He can't even say his name let alone write it. I guess I'm the lazy one.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 2:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My 4 yr old is very smart but I dont push the subject. She asked me to write her name out for her & she copied it. My 3 yr old on the other hand can barely draw a circle. She's fine too. People just push too hard. Kids are still babies at 2 yrs old! You dont need to be forcing them to do stuff, they are curious on their own & you can encourage them & show them things but I get sick of hearing people thinking that a 2 yr old "should" be doing stuff that even most 3 yr olds arent ready to do.
    Anonymous

• ha at 27 month old just three months older than two yo, I was told by a doctor who's speciality was not chlldren that she had the maturity of an 18 month old. Now she's in college and earning A's. For many two year olds that age is very stormy. Once she hits three and maybe even a little bit before then she'll likely calm down and be able to tolerate playing school for a little bit each day. When that happens no matter when, try keeping her interest by giving A cheerio or A frosted flake per play school right answer. Turn it into a game of rewards - super fun for each try, each good answer.

And of course some nursery schools for three year olds when it's that age for her, do teach a bit or a lot of academics.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My son is 5 and just started kindergarten. He is one of the yougest in his class. He did not learn how to write his name until the age of 4 almost 4 1/2. 2 Is very young I think anyway. I worked in a daycare for years and none of the 2 yos could do that, nor the 3 yos. Don't pust her, she will do this when she is ready. As stated earlier, don't push hard at this. She will then never like school when she gets older. Its suppose to be fun for them. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• What?

Children don't need to know how to write their name until much older. Forcing them to do so could teach them improper ways of holding writing instruments. Why do kids need to be taught to count to 20? I think kids will learn how to do that even if you don't teach that.

There is a kind of homeschooling called unschooling. You provide a rich learning environment for your child and let them learn on their own or when they ask to. Guess what? By age 12 almost all kids teach themselves to read, they can write, and they can count way past 20.

Let toddlers be toddlers and let their brains be doing the things they are supposed to be doing at that age.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2009