Does my husband have to work Sundays if it conflicts with religious observance? IS it legal? They are trying to make him... PLEASE HELP!!

Any legal-ish references would be awesome.
Hubby works in retail. They are trying to tell him that he has to work Sundays or else he can't work a full-time position they offered him. They say "its retail" so deal with it. However, we are Christians and observe our religion on Sundays. Is it legal to force him to work on Sundays? He is more than willing to work all the other days of the week. There are a ton of non-religious employees in the same department that should be able to work Sundays, so why would he have to.

I just want to know, is it legal for them to make him work Sundays, or are they required to give him Sundays off for religious observance. Thanks!!!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• In this economy, and considering it's the retail industry, your husband should be grateful he has a job. God will understand if your husband needs to work in order to provide for his family.
    Anonymous

• He can go to HR and ask. I would gather to say yes it's legal since I see retails stores open.

He can quit and find a place that doesn't work Sunday's. I'm sure another person would be willing to have his job in a heart beat.
    Anonymous

• When he applied he should have stated that Sundays were unavailable to him. If he did then it would not be his fault if the schedule was wrong. Also, most jobs work with people who need days off for religious purposes and so he should talk with HR department.
    Like the others said he should be grateful for having a job and with that being said I, too am a christian and I know for a fact that services are not just on Sun...That is when most people go but service is 7 days a week it may be a little shorter but that doesnt matter you still get the same message.
    Anonymous

• Oh well. My husband is Jewish and he cannot get off at sunset on Friday and take Saturday off and he certainly doesn't get any time off for religious holidays. He doesn't get enough vacation time to do that and his job isn't one where he can just leave at sunset (which is very early during the winter). G-d understands that the world around us won't allow him to follow certain laws and also, He understand that my husband is supporting our family. My sons are cashiers and if they asked for Friday evenings and all day Saturdays off their boss would just schedule them less because of their lack of availability. If the world around us won't cater to non-Christians why should it cater to Christians? I used to be a Christian, I went to church on Wed., Fri. and 3 times on Sunday.. Your husband can go to an earlier service, to a later service or to a service during the week.
    Anonymous

• Okay... let me get this straight? He wants to work retail, but doesn't want to work Sundays? LOL! See, if a business is open retail hours, you have to be able to meet those obligated hours... if not, DO NOT TAKE THE FRICKIN JOB. Here you go, throwing your religion in someone's face, only because YOU dont' want to do something. It's so wrong, on so many levels Honey.....

Good God, does anyone in this country truly want to work? I am beginning to think not.

Go on welfare....
    Anonymous

• In order to work retail, you need to be available to work the hours that the retailer needs you. If you suddenly start making scheduling demands, you are going to find that they need you less and less until you are forced to look for a different job because this one isn't paying the bills. Simple as that. My husband works retail. He works on Sundays, Christmas, Thanksgiving and everyother holiday in between. It sucks! But if puts food on the table and pays the bills. There are plenty of church service options available, Sunday isn't the only one. It is not illegal to require employees to work on Sunday. That's not to say that he can't request Sundays off, but if he is scheduled to work it, then he needs to suck it up and do it. Making a big stink about it, won't win him any favors.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about your state but in mine it's perfectly legal for an employer to make you work 365 days out of the year regardless of your religion. You might want to look into it, but since most churches have many different services on many different days I doubt you will get anywhere with this. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• He'll work if he wants to keep his job. Yes, they can have him work on Sundays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• he can look ino job that is run by a christain organzation like Chik-a-fil or a christain-run thrift store that is closed on Sundays
    vampjaded

Answer by vampjaded at 9:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010