Does my husband have to work Sundays if it conflicts with religious observance? IS it legal? They are trying to make him... PLEASE HELP!!

Any legal-ish references would be awesome.
Hubby works in retail. They are trying to tell him that he has to work Sundays or else he can't work a full-time position they offered him. They say "its retail" so deal with it. However, we are Christians and observe our religion on Sundays. Is it legal to force him to work on Sundays? He is more than willing to work all the other days of the week. There are a ton of non-religious employees in the same department that should be able to work Sundays, so why would he have to.

I just want to know, is it legal for them to make him work Sundays, or are they required to give him Sundays off for religious observance. Thanks!!!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• An employer is required to give "reasonable" accomadation to the employees religious needs. They might be able to give him the morning off or something to go to church, or they might stonewall. I would reccomend putting the request for Sundays off due to religious observance in writing to the supervision. If they don't respond file a complaint against them.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 5:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• can he compromise and be available at 12 noon til 5 or 6 pm, with family in earlier church hours? Or church at services at other times during the rest of the week? We've actually switched churches to get services times better for us.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• In this economy, and considering it's the retail industry, your husband should be grateful he has a job. God will understand if your husband needs to work in order to provide for his family.
    Anonymous

• I am not aware of anything you can do but like the PP compromise. I know in the past when I worked retail my job would let me have so many Sundays off. The Sundays I worked I got to go to one of the 2 services. I would have to say it is a choice he made with the job. I switched jobs. It would not be far that the others that do not attend church have to work his Sundays. That would be discriminating because of their lack of religion.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I dont know about legally but as someone who has a DH who has to work sundays I think you need to be realistic there is church on weds and also later services on sundays. Not trying to be rude but in this day and age the world does not shut down on sunday.

If it were a holiday you might have more of a case.
    Anonymous

• retail usually wants you on sat/sunday don't think there is much you can do about it...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• no it's not ilegal but it sounds like he works for walmart! you either work when they say work or be gone! Religion plays no part in retail. God understands men who work and have to work for the sake of their family maybe he can work it out to work every other sunday and just work longer hours on saturday when they need him most or he can change his shift to go after services until later in the night or something..it's worth a try:) Hope things get better=)
    Anonymous

• Christians can work on Sunday.

There are some religions that the member can't work on their sabboth. Some professions can do some work. These religions are recognized. Seventh Day Adventists don't work on Sat. Mormons don't work on Sunday. It is also somewhat up to them to find jobs that allow them to have that day off.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• if anything, he can see if he can set up his sunday schedule, maybe in the afternoon. but yes in retail, if you want to work full time, this means weekends included no matter what religion you are
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I think you can try to work around church. My church has different times. 1 on Saturday night and 2 on Sunday morning. Or are you just wanting the day for the family? If that's the case it's very hard to work in retail under that. Have him talk to his boss about it.
    Anonymous