How do you reuse/ recycle?

So lets have some fun with this! If you reuse/recycle give some examples of ways that you do it. So you make projects out of aluminum? have gardening tips for compost? Make gifts out of jars? Also if you have ways that your family keeps it all organized tell about it.

It sounds like many of us do our best to be green and it also sounds like many don't realize how easy it is so go for it ladies give your tips ...Keep it nice this isn't a debate its a informative fun post.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Egg cartons- Freecycle, donate to a local egg farm so they can reuse them, kids' crafts, grow seedlings.
    Use left over drinking water to water your plants or yard. I keep gallon milk jugs under the sink with a funnel & pour leftover water in them. When they are full, pour them on your yard.
    Coffee cans you can store pretty much anything in... They are especially great for garage-type stuff (nails, bolts, etc.).
    Glass jars- Great for holiday gifts like cocoa mix, soup or cookies in a jar, etc. The baby food ones are great for little individual size drink mixes!
    Wash out ziplock baggies & put them back in the box to be reused. I have some that have been washed a dozen times!
    Drain your washing machine into your yard- free watering! Just be careful with what detergent you use, as not to kill the grass.
    Aluminum foil- kids' crafts, recycle, scouring pots
    (cont.)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 7:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I use canvas bags for groceries but not for environmental purposes. The plastic ones make a mess, and I got tired of having them fill up my trash can. That's as close as I get to recycling.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I use the paper towels I dry my hands with to clean messes on the floor and other gross uses that don't require a clean paper towel.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I put it all in the recycling blue box and put it out on garbage day, then the city takes it away.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• i have reused some gallon plastic milk jugs to make bird feeders and I have cut out patterns for holiday decorations. I save themason jars from pasta sauce for drinking cups. I give away egg cartons on freecycle.org. I use plastic grocery bags for the small garbage cans and for the cat litter. and reuse them in the store as well as canvas bags.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• We use cloth napkins. We have saved a TON of money this way. Also, we have a small garbage can and use the plastic bags from stores as the can liners. we feed food scraps to the deer and birds that come into our back yard. We buy most toys and clothing from second hand stores and donate unwanted items to local women's shelters. Also, we use left over drinking water to water our houseplants and to do light clean up of messes. I will use my sons bathwater to do the bathroom cleaning once a week, also.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• We save baby food jars and use them to pre-measure his formula/cereal for his diaper bag. We don't use papertowels we use cloth, we re-use plastic bags from stores as trash can liners for our smaller trash cans, we recycle our aluminum cans, we only use 1 car (have 2) on most days to save gas, and we clean our gallon jugs and use them to hold loose change.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Nope. I do NOT recycle one bit. I wanna tick off Al Gore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Rinse or clean out bottles/containers/boxes from food, & give them to kids to play "market" with- teaches them prices, counting, addition, subtraction, budgeting, etc.
    Newspapers- Paper mache, shredded & dampened to prevent weeds in the garden, line the cat box or can be wee-wee pads for dogs, clean glass (doesn't leave lint like paper towels!), stuff newspaper in packages for padding instead of those nasty foam peanuts, wrapping paper
    Donate your old cell phone to a womens' shelter
    Reuse gift bags, bows, & tissue paper next winter / birthday / whatever holiday
    And of course, recycle whatever else you can at the appropriate facilities in your city or community.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 7:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2009