In a "normal" delivery.....

How long will I be staying at the hospital? This is my first, so just a question.

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That's something to ask your doctor or your insurance. Most moms stay 2 nights. With my second baby I did well and stayed about 2 hours. I wanted a home birth but it wasn't possible in my state so my doctor let me leave.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• usually its 3 days....
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• depends on where you live, what insurance you have. its a couple of days- obviously if you are feeling well there is no reason to stay, and they can not keep you, you are free to leave whenever you want.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Normal as in vaginal? Kind of depends on your insurance and what time of day you give birth. But for the most part it's 2 nights.
    Anonymous

• I stayed for 2 days.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• At the hospital where I had DD, it's 2 days for a normal vaginal delivery...and 3 days for an uncomplicated c/section.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• whoa, its been typically 24 hours here and in the other 3 states I have lived in.
    If you have a c-section it would be about 72 hours (3 days)
    Now, you always can go home sooner if you feel well enough.

If you have a birthing center birth, you usually go home just a few hours after birth.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You can go whenever you want-- any time. But usually about a day I hear.

I didn't deliver in a hospital myself, but have been with others who went home within about 24 hours.

I was asked to stay a few hours postpartum at the birth center, but agreed to let me stay longer because I wanted to. ;-) I liked being doted on and they made me breakfast and all. Like having private chefs, haha!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I gave birth at 1125pm on a Thursday and went home around 1pm Saturday. So about a day and a half to 2 days. I think I should have stayed longer to be honest. I went home and was running around the house cleaning and ended up doing some real damage to myself. If I would have stayed in the hospital I would have been able to heal a little bit more before I got back to "real life."
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• With my first i left after 4 hours, with my second after 2 hours.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2009