I have a baby on the way, and recently my 7 year old daughter has stopped eating and wants to nurse instead...

ok, so Is this just an adjustment thing? what in the world should I tell her. I think she is too old to be nursing..but i dont want to give her the idea that there is anything unnatural about it.. I plan on nursing this baby for as long as I can...already tried telling her that the baby cant eat pizza..doesnt seem to phase her..any advice? any moms out there having their older children wanting to nurse again? not sure what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• dd went through this when ds was born- she was 4. so, i let her try. turns out she wasn't all that interested after all, just wanted to get some attention.

try making some time for her that is JUST for her, paint her nails, play dress up, bake something together. anything that does not include the pregnancy/new baby. she's just having a hard time adjusting, 7 years is a long time to be the baby, you know?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Sounds like she's a little worries about having a new sibling on the way. I would just tell her that's just for babies/little ones and keep pointing out the things that she really loves to do or eat that a baby can't. Spend as much time with her as possible and stress how much you care about her and let her know that she's still going to be very special to you and you two will still do special things just you and her after the baby gets here. Also, she'll eventually eat when she's hungry enough, try not to give her too much attention about the not eating thing because it sounds like that's exactly what she wants. Just continue to serve her foods that you know she really likes and she'll give in sooner or later.
    Anonymous

• She just wants to see what you will say. Assure her that you have plenty of love for both of them. The baby will breastfeed and she won't. After the baby is born she can taste the milk in a cup if she wants but the breastmilk is for the baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Yeah, she's way to old, tell her you need to save it for the baby to make it big and strong, and that she's already a big girl and she doesn't need it.. she needs big girl food to be strong
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 8:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• It's normal - she'll probably want to try on a diaper, too!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My mom said that when my sister was born, I did the same thing (only I was 3, not 7!) She let me try, but since kids lose that natural suckling instinct at a certain point, I couldn't get anything out and got over it.

So, if it's something you're comfortable with, let her give it a shot. Otherwise, the other suggestions are good as well! Remind her that you still love her and the baby won't take her place.

Good luck, I hope it all works out of you!!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• is she an only child? how much are you telling her already about nursing? sounds like you've put too much focus on nursing the baby. she probably feels left out.

tell her she can drink the milk but not nurse. she's not going to want that memory when she's older anyway! most 7 year olds aren't interested in breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2009