What do you do if your 4 month old is throwing up/diarrhea?

He's not doing this yet, but my husband was all night and now I'm beginning to feel queesy. what do you do if your LO does this? I know it's easy for them to get dehydration... just thinking ahead.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Yep, if you're breastfeeding, keep up with it. It's the best defense, even if you're sick. If it starts in your baby and you're formula feeding, call the doc.
    Anonymous

• breastfeeding is not going to prevent a stomach virus *smh*

make sure you have lots of pedialyte on hand...hydration is key to avoiding other problems. just add some to whatever you are feeding your baby. good luck!
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 3:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You do not need to give a breastfeeding baby pedialyte. Breastfeeding can prevent stomach virus. That is one of the ways breastfeeding babies are healthier. There is IgA in breastmilk that protect the digestive track from infection. There are also living white blood cells and other things in the milk that protect the baby from infection. If the baby does get sick the illness should get over quicker. As long as a baby can take anything by mouth, a baby can take breastmilk. Even if breastmilk only stays down a short time it can help an ill baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Aurora 0, Gailll 1. *snicker* Gailll's all over this one. Only problem is...is the baby on breastmilk or formula?
    Anonymous

• I actually had a stomach virus, as did my hubby and then-4 month old baby daughter. She got over it the fastest (grr) b/c I kept breastfeeding her on demand (this is the key). If you BF on demand, the baby will not become dehydrated. If you are FF the baby, take them to the doctor immediately.
    LaughterHugs

Answer by LaughterHugs at 5:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• ok thank you guys!!! I am BF and he hasn't gotten it yet.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 6:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I'm glad. My 2.5 year old had diarreah all the way back from our Christmas trip. Sitting in a Cracker Barrel bathroom with a pitiful 2 year old screaming "I don't want to poooooooooooop!" while poop pours out of her is zero fun. I can't even imagine it with a 4 month old. Since you're bf, skip the pedialyte. BM is better, but DO expect her to take more, so if you're pumping, keep that in mind.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• to the immature anonymous poster keeping score, i was not aware we were in a competition. also, i think it was clearly stated that breastmilk may help aid a stomach virus and its effects, but it is in no a cure all or even an absolute preventative measure. sheesh!
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 11:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2009