How can i get my son to understand the importance of class work?

DivaQ

Asked by DivaQ at 3:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I use to instill in my kids the pride that should accompany any work with their name on it. I often made them do over papers that were messy, telling them to do it nice and neat if their names were attached to it. I praised them when they did good and told them how they could be so much better when their grades were not so good, I never accepted a "C" as a passing grade and took control in their homework assignments. The class work I always told them that this is what made taking test easy, if you participate in class, and do your work, testing was a breeze. Pride is what I mostly instilled, the rest followed.

Answer by older at 3:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I don't think it is important. I guess that's why I homeschooled. All my kids went to college so I must have done something right.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I tell my sons teacher that if he does not do it well in class send it home and we will do it all over again, he can do it right the first time(in class) or redo it at home.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I don't place a heavy emphasis on classwork. While we don't home school our son, we did place him in a school where homework was not a given as a rule and a school who uses self guided learning as its philosophy.  All children have different learning styles and I stand by the fact that a traditional classroom setting is not the best fit for my child.  I'm not saying he couldn't do it but it wouldn't be the best fit for him.  As well as I am not a big believer in traditional settings in general.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

LOL yet they live with you and cannot function without you I would say you did a crappy job.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My husband sat our son down and talked to him about how at work he has tasks that are necessary for him to do. Sometimes those tasks are boring and doesn't always like doing them they are necessary. My husband said doing his homework and classwork is his job right now and sometimes he won't like everything he has to do but will do it so he learns a good work ethic. My son said he still didn't like homework but he understood and does it without complaint. His grades and attitude have improved as well. So many parents don't teach a good work ethic and they suffer for it later in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2009