So depressed! Why can't I lose the belly fat?

I've literally tried everything! From eating carefully and exercising to extreme dieting... Nothing is working! I have very good stomach muscles that I can feel, but they are buried under a few inches of FAT! Its disgusting! I just don't know what to do anymore! The weight is stressing and depressing me! I don't want to be the "fat mom." I had my daughter 13 months ago... Its really taking a toll on my life, to the point where I don't even want to have more children until I lose all of the weight, but then I'm literally terrified that I'll be in the same situation again!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I gained 70 lbs with my fist and didn't lose the weight until he was 19 months old... then I got preg. the next month. Pilates was the only thing that worked for me in my attempt to gain back any kind of a figure. Also, I began splitting my meals with my son. I was eating a lot healthier (because I feed him fresh fruits and veggies with each meal) and also eating a lot less. Going for daily walks (even if only for 10-15 minutes) is really helpful as well. Once the weather gets nicer (I live in Wisconsin where we have 15 inches of snow on the ground right now) you will be able to go to the beach and park with your daughter. It does take a while to get things back to where they once were- but don't worry. Your daughter doesn't care what you look like
    Also, so far with this pregnancy (I am at 30 weeks) I have only gained 25 pounds... once you go through losing the weight once you learn a lesson and don't eat as much crap!
    Anonymous

• My dr. told me that the only thing that really gets rid of stomach fat is cardio. You can tighten those muscles all you want with Pilates and Yoga, etc. But you really need to burn the fat.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You can't spot reduce. You have to burn off the fat in the same way it was originally distributed. It took a while to come on and it will take time to come off. I also learned something a few weeks ago on The Doctors tv question and answer program. They showed a lady who had a couple of babies. Her stomach muscles had stretched out and weakened. The doctor said she would never get that elasticity back no matter what exercises she did. She had to have a tummy tuck. I've been pretty disappointed in the fact that mine won't go away so I'm thinking I may be one of those women who can't do it on her own. I won't have surgery for the tummy tuck so I'll just have to deal with it. Ask your doctor and see what's the best way for you.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Cardio is for cardio not for weight loss.
    Anonymous

• alright smartass anon. OP this is what will help you need to combine cardio and weight training in your workouts. The Firm would be perfect for just that.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• soonmommyof3, what is The Firm? -OP
    Anonymous

• I am the co-owner of a wonderful group here on Cafemom. We emphasize healthy eating and exercise for weight loss. We are currently getting ready to start a new weight loss challenge on January 1st. Please feel free to join us... no drama, no bashing, tons of support!! We can help you find the perfect way for you to drop those unwanted pounds, safely and long term!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/weightforlife

SWKansasmomma

Answer by SWKansasmomma at 5:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I hear ya. I finally lost the belly weight when I started to run. Not long, not far but I added about four miles a week to my workout which is pilates and the eliptical with some weights. It worked amazingly well. Thing is, I despise running so keeping the weight in check is harder than it used to be. Also, whoever posted about losing the weight in spots is right, it'll come off wherever and you can't select where!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• have you been to a dr. to see if your stomach muscles were ripped. this is what happened to me and you have to get it repaired in order for your stomach to get real flat again. but you can still lose weight in that area but your muscles there will not get strong. also i get lipodisolve shots and b12& b6 shots and they actually work.
    Anonymous

• cardio does work!
    honey27

Answer by honey27 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2009