My step-father told me that when he was a baby, his mom used to let him suck on peppermint sticks whenever he'd get a stomach ache. Is peppermint safe for baby?

danyiellewis

Asked by danyiellewis at 4:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep...I have done it on occasion with my kids. I would take those peppermint candies, disolve in warm water and give it to them. I never did it if they were younger then 6-8 months though.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• yes, and if you do not want the sugar you can brew peppermint & chamomile tea. it works wonders for calming an upset tummy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Peppermint is wonderful for upset stomaches. I would avoid the sugar though and offer it as a Tea. (which a baby can sip from a cup cool or even put a wee bit in a bottle.
    They also make some homeopathic drops for baby upset bellies.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Yes, but I wouldn't give it to a baby under 3 months!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Peppermint is awesome-AWESOME-for children and adults alike when it comes to stomach aches, especially that pukey-nausea. I never knew of a baby with an upset tummy other then the full blown puking flu where nothing provided relief but for a toddler with a sensitive stomach it works so well. Chamomile tea works like a charm for belly aches/colic issues as well.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 5:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• yes! My 7 month old loves them! You just gotta make sure that they don't bite off any pieces.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 6:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Yes, that is one of my family's colic remedies... Dissolve a peppermint candy into hot water, let it cool until safe for baby, and give him a teaspoon or two. Within a few minutes, the colic symptoms seem to disappear.
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My son loves peppermint sticks!!! I just stocked up on a ton of candy canes from christmas!!! Check with your pedi to see what age its ok to give them pepper mint though.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I used Celestial Seasonings peppermint for all of my kids past 6 months. You can also use Gripe Water.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2009