what makes a designer dog?

so they have laboroodles and goldenoodles but if some one put a boxoodle or german shepoodles would they sell for so much. after all they really are just mutts but was curious why people would think some cross breeds would be worth paying for and why others breeds mixed with the poodle can't be sold for the same or thought of as designer dogs or am i wrong would some people pay for the boxoodle?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Pets

• What sucks is the label, "Designer Dogs" tends to convince people with two purebred dogs that they can make money. Such is why we have so many backyard bred dogs. Ugh. I think dogs should keep in their own breed and not "beautify" mutts to sell.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Truthfully all dofs are mixed with other breads. I was watching something on the Animal planit channel about it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• sorry, meant dogs

• I used to breed Shih Tzu Mixes. I have a male (he's now neutered) and I bred him to a female Yorkie and to a Mini Poodle female. Some call them Shorkies and Shi-Poos, but I never called them by their "designer names". My puppies always sold really quickly. There is a demand for these dogs, and I think that is what makes them "designer". It's no different than anything else that's designer. If nobody wanted them, then they wouldn't be considered designer.
    I also agree with the 1st comment. Every dog out there was once considered a mutt. All AKC dogs were origanlly created by mixing this breed with that breed. I think some people get very carried away with mixing dogs. Now days everybody that ends up with mutt puppies seem to give the pups a "name" and try to make a quick buck!
    Anonymous

• so why some mixed breeds more desirable then others?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• a "designer dog" is just a mix that people are willing to pay more to HAVE. They want the status of it because they heard someone else has one and think they will be part of an exclusive crowd just because they "possess" a dog like an object. Designer dogs are a result of people's greed and run wild word of mouth marketing. What makes one mix better than any other (a perceived better) is people's desire to be seen as superior because they have something perceived as valuable by someone they desire to be like. It is all hype. People should desire a healthy dog that shares their energy level and fits comfortably into their lifestyle. Popular dogs change frequently. Right now breeders are trying to make dogs smaller and smaller, without regard to the health issues that raises. Every time there is a dog in a movie breeders try to reproduce it with ever increasing prices. And 6 months later the shelters are full of them.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 8:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The reason so many breeds are mixed with poodles "by design" is that they are then promoted as being shedless or hypoallergenic. This frequently is not the case. Other frequent "mixers" are chihuahuas, Shi-Tzus, labs and goldens and pugs. Do not let someone tell you a certain color is "rare" so the dog is more valuable, more expensive. Do your research. Choose a personality, not strictly a look. A dog is not an accessory.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 8:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2009