Have you lost anyone to a drunk driver? Do you go out on NYE?

Noticed a trend among friends, wondering if it's more universal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I lost a friend to a drunk driver, he left behind his wife and three kids the oldest one was 3 years old. He had just then recently gotten a job as a cab driver when a car of guys drinking slammed into him.

It's been almost thirty years since then but I remember like it was this morning.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I do not go out new years eve, as we do not drink, just celebrate here IF we are up at 12 am! lol

Anonymous

• I don't know of anyone whom I have lost to a drunk driver, but I remember being a kid and always hearing how my uncles had gotten DUI's and thinking how lucky they were not to have been in an accident. Sorry to say they have not all cleaned up their ways, and knowing that a lot of the people who are out driving on NYE have been drinking (at least a little), no, I don't go anywhere after around like 8PM on that day if I have to go anywhere. And I certainly wouldn't take my kids out for sure. We always host the party at our house, and because I don't drink, I drive people home.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I lost my older sister to a drunk driver and it ruined my life, the guy who killed her just got a slap on the wrist. So no I don't go anywhere on NYE because I know almost everyone out there has been drinking, I don't even let my husband drive if he's had ONE drink. Any amount of drinking and dricing constitutes drunk driving in my book.
    Anonymous

• No, I haven't lost anyone to a drunk driver.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My ex FIL has gotten MANY dui's and still continues to drive. I don't "go out" for new years eve anymore and haven't since my DS was born. I haven't lost anyone close, but I have worked in the ER and have seen many people lose their lives or become vegetables from being hit or being the drunk driver!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I used to babysit for some very good friends of mine. Their 10-mos.-old ds was killed due to a drunk driver. The lady had gotten out of rehab just prior to getting into the accident. The parents found out about a week later that their son would have had to have surgery on his spine, and there wasn't a very good chance that he would have survived the surgery. I believe God knew what he was doing. The baby died with a smile on his face and looking up to heaven. It has been at least 25 years since his death. I still miss him. It took me many years to find that I could forgive the lady that caused the accident. If you have an addiction to alcohol, it is a monument struggle to not even think about it. I put my life and the lives of my dh and children in God's hands every time we go anywhere. Driving drunk occurs all year long and not just on New Year's Eve.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Yes, I have. In 1987 my best friend lost her 1 year old to a drunk driver. She and her son were taking a walk when a drunk driver ended up on the wrong side of the street and on the side walk. She hit the stroller and my friend's son died. In December 2007, just days before Christmas, our family friend was on his way home from a business trip and he was killed by a drunk driver. he left a wife and 5 children. That same year our friend's husband was killed by a drunk driver on his way home from work.

We are hosting a NYE get together at our house for family and close friends and there will be alcohol. It's a sleepover party for anyone without a DD and who has been drinking. We have sleeping bags, extra blankets and a mattress to toss on the floor. We don't drink at all and drive and we won't allow anyone we know to leave our house after drinking anything.

Anonymous

• I lost my twin sister to a drunk driver. We were 13 years old and I was sick so I stayed home with my grandma. My sister went to our uncle's 50th birthday with my parents. On their way back a drunk driver crushed on my dad's car and no one was hurt but my sister. She was in a comma for a whole year before she died. I spent every waking hour in the hospital with her until she died . That accident ruined my whole childhood and I still can't get over it.

I hope my sister is happy where she is. I love you Tina.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 7:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

This is so sad, I'm sorry. May she rest in peace.
    Anonymous