Do you think ex's always have unfinished business?

Yesterday I just saw the movie “It’s Complicated” with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. I really liked the movie. (Is Meryl Streep ever in a bad movie?) The premise of the movie is this; Meryl plays a mother (Jane) of three grown kids. After a decade of divorce she has an amicable relationship with her ex-husband, attorney Jake (Baldwin). But when Jane and Jake find themselves out of town for their son’s college graduation, things happen. An innocent meal together turns into an unimaginable affair. Jake is remarried to the much younger and hotter Agnes (Lake Bell), for whom he left Jane 10 years prior. Jane is now the other woman.
So the question the movie explores is whether a divorced couple can really move backwards and/or is it possible to rekindle an old flame? Do all ex-lovers carry with them unfinished business, especially if there are children involved?
What do you think?

AlwaysMum

Asked by AlwaysMum at 6:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• I stay away from my x for just that reason. He is with his current wife who is half his age. She's not in good health and I worry he will want to get back together if something happens to her. He used to always want to mess around when she wasn't looking. I keep telling him if I wanted him I'd have stayed with his cheating butt back in the day.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Anything is possible. I think when certain people divorce and don't know "why" they divorced or certain things drove them apart, and years they meet up and the flame and or attraction is rekindled things are bound to happen! But you can't take hollywood movies to heart!!! They are meant to keep hope alive; even if it is a lie. I mean take for instance the movie "It Could Happen To You", what are the chances of a total stranger telling a waitress or matron that they don't have a tip but they did get a lotto ticket and if they win they'd get half, and actually do it!? Slim to none or a 1 in a million chance!? Just some room for thought. But again anything is possible!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I believe these things do happen when a couple is too quick to divorce and haven't really thought everything through. I worked with a woman once who did almost the same thing. She got a divorce and took her two young daughters (they were about 9 and 11) to live with her mother. Yet because she worked nights and everything the dad was always around taking care of the kids. The main reason she divorced him was because he wouldn't do things with them as a family. They remarried a year later because being a "single dad" part of the time, he had to do things with his daughters. It was kind of an expensive mistake to divorce on their part.

I live by the motto "if its meant to be, it will be" and when my DH and I were talking divorce, I had a feeling that for us it would also be temporary. In reality it didn't get that far.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My situation is similar i dated a guy 20 years ago.We were in highschool he ended up marrying a girl that was his age.I'm a few years younger.Anyway,we after finding eachother back in June started talking and met up and it was like time stood still all the feelings we have had and carried never left we both ended up married and divorced to people that we loved not as much as eachother.Well now we know what was always meant to be and are expecting a baby come July and all seems to fit to finish the puzzle.Just wish we would of been smarter and not went through so much before getting here.
    Anonymous