My daugter believing in Santa has gone out of hand. Does she need a dr?

She's 5 and she saw my son (13) carring the presents from the car in the house on xmas eve. My son told her he's just an elf helping out Santa. I was happy she bought it! But she now thinks all that is real and she also think she actually SAW Santa flying away on xmas eve. She said her brother grew weird elf ears that night.

We all have tried to explain to her that her brother is not really an elf and that Santa is really a legent and that the whole must have been a dream, but she really thinks it's all real.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• she's 5!...don't worry about it. She will let it go...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Just let her believe it all. soon enough she will not believe. Usually by 10.

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Let her have fun, she's 5 for heavens sake!
    Anonymous

• Oh, come on, she's just a kid! That's what kids do, they immagine!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 7:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• She's fine. When I was around that age I could've sworn I saw the glow from Rudolph's nose outside my window. (and I was on the 2cd floor)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• It sounds like she just had a very vivid dream. I wouldn't stress about it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You created this fantasy, you deal with the aftermath.
    Anonymous

• No, she does not need to see a doctor. She is a 5 year old CHILD with an active imagination. Instead of squashing her imagination, encourage it. Just go with the flow.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You created this fantasy, you deal with the aftermath

That's mean..
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 9:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I was thinking about this while putting my 2 year old to bed and she was telling me all about her monster friends. I hate her monster thing, because I don't like her pretending there are monsters, because I worry that she'll then be afraid of them down the road, or someone else will say that they are scary, etc. I'm sure it's silly of me. What I do, and it keeps it neutral, is I don't tell her "monsters aren't real" but I do just let her go, saying "wow, silly monsters" and "that sounds like a fun monster." If your dd didn't have a dream, then she is pretending those things are real, knowing that she really didn't see her brother grow elf ears, etc. But she thinks it would be fun. If she were pretending she was Cinderella, you wouldn't tell her that she wasn't. You would pretend along. I don't think this serious. If you're worried you could say something like "It's fun to pretend your brother can grow big silly ears."
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2009