Is this normal?

My 3 year old is sick at least twice a month. Running a fever or vomit/diarrhea sick, not sniffles sick. She's normally sick for 2 or 3 days at a time. When I take her to the doctor, it's stomach flu or a "little bug." Is this normal? Do your kids get sick this often?

camiam81

Asked by camiam81 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As far as I know, it is not normal to be sick that often. Sometimes, parents have to tell a doctor that they think there is something more going on than a stomach bug. Ask the doctor what type of specialist you should take your child to. My dh & I took our ds to a walk-in clinic because it was the weekend. Our ds's symptoms were getting worse and we were able to get him in to see the nurse practitioner in the doctor's office a few days later. (The Dr. was out for the day.) The nurse practitioner had a couple of other doctors in the office take a look at our ds. They all agreed that we needed to take our ds to the children's hospital to see a specialist. Our concern and those of the medical staff at our pediatrician's office saved his life. We weren't about to quit until we found a doctor that knew what was wrong and told us what the plan of action was to help our ds become healthy again. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 7:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• no, i would find another pediatrician for a second opinion. something isn't right.
    CASSIDYSHEART

Answer by CASSIDYSHEART at 9:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• No, I don't think that is normal. Time to get pushy and start asking for some further testing and answers from your ped or get a second opinion.

Although, is there something that could be making her tummy sick? Daycare? Old food at the MIL's house?? My daughter gets diarrhea because she has a sensitive stomach just like me and my mother, and my MIL does NOT grasp the concept of keeping things under proper refrigeration and such. Maybe it's something as simple as that? But, my DD never has a fever with these little bouts, and they are only one or two times in a day, every few weeks.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 10:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• OP here, it normally one or the other(stomach issues or fever, almost never both at the same time). It tends to rotate. I thinks she's just exposed to a lot of germs, she's in daycare and she goes to a lot of public places with me and her father(we are divorced). I just wanted to compare this with others.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• When you go out to public places is she sanitizing or washing her hands before eating or putting them in her mouth ?

Also check the daycare and how clean they are. Make sure the bathrooms there are clean, they are making kids wash their hands and also that they have a strict policy on children with contagious illnessess staying home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• when she comes home make sure she washes her hands,There are alot of germs out there, and someone sick and then she goes and touches it like a railing or something like that. but no its not normal for someone to get sick that often.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2009