Timing...

Personally, I like to start decorating for Christmas as soon after Thanksgiving as I can. Some people like to wait until Christmas Eve to put up and decorate the tree. So, how long do THEY keep up the Christmas decorations, and why exactly is that their tradition? Btw, my tree & decorations generally come down soon after New Year's Day.

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 7:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Holidays

• mine go up the day after thanksgiving usually and come down a day or two after New Years
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• All decorations come down on January 6th- 3 Kings day, in our house.

Anonymous

• simple frown  I took mine down already as I didn't see any point in keeping them up.  screaming

Anonymous

• We do Jan 6th for three kings day too. You'll notice thats when most people take down their Christmas lights outside too.
    Anonymous

• What is Jan 6th three kings day?
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 7:02 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Jan 6th, "Three King's Day" also known as "Twelfth night" is the day when supposedly the three kings (Magi) led by the star, got to the stable to see baby Jesus.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My next door neighbors take their stuff down after the Orthodox Christmas, which I think is January 12th or close to that date. Our decorations come down as soon as DH gets around to it - the outside lights came down yesterday b/c we had a nice 30 degree day w/sun, so those are done already. As soon as DH gets the boxes out of storage, I'll start taking down the tree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I usually put my decorations up the 2nd week of December. It just depends on when I'm in the mood (this year they went up on the 11th). And I was contemplating taking them down tomorrow. I'm tired of looking at them and they serve no purpose now that Christmas is over. The tree takes up a lot of space in the living room and blocks part of the sofa from the TV and when the lights are on it creates a glare on the TV.
    Around here people don't take their outside decorations down until it warms up. Sometimes we get a break in January but most people keep their stuff up until March or April.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We will be taking down decorations tomorrow. But it's not for any reason it's just because my husband brought all the boxes in that everything goes into and to get the boxes back out of the house the decorations need to be in them.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I put my tree and stuff up the weekend before Thanksgiving this year, and took it down the day after Christmas. But next year, i am going to wait till after Thanksgiving to put the tree up. But it will still go down the day after Christmas. After Christmas is over i am so ready to get the tree out of my way and my table back in the living room. And the furniture and stuff back to it's original places.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 7:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009