Homeschooling. How and When to start?

Hello. My daughter just turned 2 on the 4th. I have made the decision to homeschool her. I was wondering when and how I should start the whole process. Any tips or advice would be wonderful.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would suggest joining a group or two and ask tons of questions as they come to you.

When I decided to homeschool thats what I did and I just started looking up curriculum based on answers I got. I looked at their reviews and chose what would work best for us.

I also went to HSLDA.org which has all sorts of info about state requirements. It will help you know whats required in your state so you are good to go when the time comes.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• 1. join a homeschool group, because you're going to get a lot of answers about how your child will become socially retarded and academically dimwitted :)
    2. you've got TONS of options. You don't have to officially file anything in most states until the child is 7.

We use Heart of Dakota loosely. I just build fun activities for learning into the day, mostly. We bake most days, and she helps scoop and measure, and count chocolate chips or count eggs. Just fun stuff. She helps at the grocery store, looking for GREEN beans (there are an awful lot of beans that are green, that I don't think are green beans, haha). We'll watch the scale and talk about weight. Everything can be a learning opportunity if you pay attention.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I second hslda.com!
    apexmommy

• Call your county school district and ask them. They are the ones that you have to comply with their rules.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• i would not contact the district. I homeschool, check out your state laws yourself. HSLDA is a good place to get them or just look on your states EDU website, usually listed under homeschool instruction. the district if it is not homeschool friendly will give your whatever answers they want. for instance, my district will try and request things that is not required by state, I will simply send them a copy of the regs where it shows it is not required, etc...

next, go to the library and check out tons of homeschool books to decide what method you like. At your dd's age, I highly recommend unschooling-child-led. next, join a homeschool group, on here and in your area. happy homeschoolers on here is awesome
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The Homeschool For Preschool group has a lot of great info, & lots of links to curriculums  :)

emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• It makes a big difference whether you are planning on letting your child take standardized testing or not. If not, you can go to the website mentioned above. If you do want your child to do standardized testing, you'll have to abide by your school district. There are pros and cons to standardized testing, much more so when the child reaches high school with opportunity for scholarships and college acceptance etc.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Hi! I just want to give you my advice. DO NOT BUY CURRICULUM. Do a websearch on the scope and sequence of preschool curriculum. Then make up your own. MUCH CHEAPER and easier.
    Look for the books by Charlotte Mason and John Holt. For the Children's Sake is also a great book. Anything by Karen Andreolas is good. Good luck and do join a group on here or on yahoo. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• you should be aware that HSLDA has a conservative and religious agenda and does NOT serve the best interests of all homeschoolers.

If you're interested in non-religious homeschooling I run a CM group called Secular Homeschooling. we have a thread comparing various approaches and a list of over 100 links to online resources.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2009