Should ppl treat kids on food stamps different then ones that are not when they are at your house?

My son has lots of teen friends 16-19 come over our house. They pig out. We really don't care, if they do not have anything to eat, but they have food stamps while we actually have to pay with cash. We only have about $200-$300 we spend on food for a family of 4. While these kids family gets $400-$600 for just as many ppl. My hubby finally got mad and told the kids to go home to eat. What would you do?
(Not bashing food stamp ppl. We have been on them ourselves)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is teenagers behavior. If you allow friends to come over it is a given they will eat, that is just what they do. If you don't like it tell your son not to be feeding his friends, that you can't afford it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I get being annoyed at that, but at the same time it's not the kids in charge of the shopping the parents may not be doing what they should. :(
    Anonymous

• Well, as a parent of a teenager, I just expect that their friends will eat a lot. I don't really know, nor do I care how their families pay for their food. And I don't get how you know just how much these families get in FS. Did the parents tell you how much, or are you just assuming. If you are just assuming, then you may be incorrect. Not all families get the full benefit available as far as food assistance.

If it bothers you that much, then don't let the friends come over any more.

Anonymous

• ~~Well, as a parent of a teenager, I just expect that their friends will eat a lot. I don't really know, nor do I care how their families pay for their food. And I don't get how you know just how much these families get in FS. Did the parents tell you how much, or are you just assuming. If you are just assuming, then you may be incorrect. Not all families get the full benefit available as far as food assistance.~~

I know how much they get, because yes they tell me. i am not going not have the kids come over because that wouldn't be far for the kids or my son. Having them eat at home before they come over and just give him what we allow them to eat should be ok.

Anonymous

• Your husband has anger issues with TEENS who's PARENT(s) are on FOODSTAMPS??

Why treat THEM different than ALL THE OTHER TEENS that do the same??

The fact that they get food stamps has WHAT to do with them "pigging out" at YOUR house??

I don't allow the kids in my neighborhood to pig out at my home. I MAY give them a snack or a drink, but only what I OFFER them...and I have NEVER asked which ones are the haves or have nots

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• It sounds like you can't afford to feed ANY extra kids, regardless of their financial status.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You and your hubby should be THNAKFUL that you can afford to BUY your own food instead of taking resentment out on these KIDS

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I can barely afford to feed my own family. So, if a kid comes to my house and starts to go through my cupboards, I tell them to stay the heck out. I usually send them home to get something to eat. I don't care if their family has food stamps or not.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 8:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Good grief sweet, didn't you see she has 200-300 a MONTH to feed her own family! That is barely enough to put food on her table. You come along and bash her because her husband is more concerned with putting food in the mouths of his own kids than kids the government is feeding!

OP, I have never considered this before. My kids aren't teenagers, but we always have "spares." Our house seems to be the neighborhood gathering place. I haven't given a thought to feeding the kids. I am thankful that for us the cost is not an issue.

I think you should have a frank discussion with your teenager about costs of things. Hit the Dollar Store for low cost snacks and put them in plastic containers, no one has to know the corn chips were a buck from the dollar store, ditto for the cookies or crackers. Let your child know what the snacks are and how often you restock, when they are gone they are gone until you buy again.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging when I said cost wasn't an issue. I don't have a bottomless pit! It isn't something that has come up. If I had a more limited budget it could be an issue..especially if there were several kids. I know my own boys eat a lot already!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2009