HELP, My son is biting the tips of his fingers till they are sore???

He says they are itching, Im taking him to the doctor this week about it.Hes 4 years old. And he says his fingers itch nd thts why hes biting them?? Ive never seen a kid do this, has anyone elses kids do this..?? I could use some advice on how to stop this if anyone has been through it. Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can tell you what my son's pediatrician told me when my son started this same thing. He said to IGNORE the behavior and it will go away. My son also said his fingers itched but there was nothing wrong, it is a nervous habit and my ignoring it has decreased the severity a lot. My son used to bite and pick his fingers until they bleed. He still does once in a while, especially when he is nervous or anxious.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My 4yr old son has been biting his fingers for months now. It has really been a constant thing lately and he's also been sick alot in the past month and we think it's from his fingers in his mouth all the time. He says he bites them because his teeth are too sharp, lol. I don't get that at all. I do notice the more I tell him not to, he does it more. I think he has some anxiety problems or something because he is at home with my husband most of the day and doesn't interact with many kids other than his older brothers. I would love to know if you have solved your problem yet or if anyone else knows what to do. I'm planning on taking him to the doc soon because he keeps getting sick with 24hr vomiting and similar bugs.
    jbsowers

Answer by jbsowers at 11:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010