Having more than 1 child

I am so happy to be expecting baby #2. We are due on Aug. 6th. We have a 3 yr. old daughter whom will be 4 when the baby is born. There is days that I ask myself how am I going to give my daughter the attention. I worry that she will think that I don't love her. And I absolutely love her to pieces. Then I wonder about the new baby. I know I will Love that child just as much. I wondered if alot of moms whom are going to have their 2nd child felt this way? And I also wonder what moms of 2 or more children do to keep their first child(ren)from feeling unloved. I know we have lots of love to give. And we have lots of plans. I just have them days where my mind wanders and I worry. Thanks!!! I know I will be a great mom to 2 children :)

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My son was almost three when I became pregnant with our second baby and our second child was just over four years old when I became pregnant with our third baby. With my son, my first, right before I accidently got pregnant I remember crying to a friend that I wanted a second baby but how how could i possibly love a second child as much as i loved my first? It was like my son identified my life. Being a mom was what I'd hoped for back to when I babysit as a kid.

My friend told me, she then had three kids, that the love is just there. It flows from mom to child/ren naturally. And it did. Your present strength as a mom now will keep you physically strong for future babies and present too. Remember its ok to ask for help and to demand it. Include your husband and little girl in your pregnancy and plans. She is old enough to help make decisions of what her little brother or sister will come home to for example. Congrats!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I felt that way a lot when I was pregnant with my youngest. My first two babies are twins, so they were used to each other, but adding another one to the mix, I was really worried about how they would react, and how they would feel towards the baby. They were young at the time too, only 19 months when the baby was born. What I did was made sure when the baby was sleeping, the other two got all my attention, and when the baby was awake, I would have them "help" me with certain things, like getting diapers, blankets, whatever I needed that they could help me with...it made them feel like "big girls"! lol. Now the twins are almost 4, and the baby is 2, and they are so close, of course the older two still try to help out with their little sister! Good luck and Congrats!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• my son was about 3 1/2 when I got pregnant with my daughter and I had those days. however it does help to TOTALLY involve your first child with the pregnancy of the second (and so on). every once in a while, when you know that your OB isn't doing an "invasive" exam, let your daughter go with you and hear the heartbeat or see the ultrasound when ever possible. I'm currently pregnant with my 3rd and my daughter is 3 1/2 and she loves to rub lotion on my belly. Also, involve her in conversation about baby. When you are talking about baby, ask her questions, such as, what will you do with baby when "it" gets here? or will you help me dress/feed/change/rock baby? She will feel like she is part of everything that is going on and will be more likely to welcome the new addition and not feel jealous. which is one more worry off of your mind. Good luck and congrats.
    Anonymous

• I have the one and the other on the way but this question never crossed my mind. I am sure other mothers feel this way but I know there is enough love for both children. It's amazing how much we can love someone that we haven't met before. You will have just as much love for baby #2 as you do for Brooke. And I know that Brooke will love baby #2 just as much because it will be her sibling and she is so sweet.
    Also involving her now is a great idea. We talk about baby #2 to Bekah all the time. She loves her baby brother so much already. She kisses and hugs my belly (her brother), brings him blankets and toys and piles them on my lap. I know she will be a good big sister and so will Brooke. She has heard the heart beat twice and she is always all smiles. She hasn't seen an actual ultrasound, I hope she can soon, but she carries the pictures around with her saying it's her baby brother.
    RebekahRain

Answer by RebekahRain at 9:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2009