Do you think ex's always have unfinished business?

Yesterday I just saw the movie “It’s Complicated” with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. I really liked the movie. (Is Meryl Streep ever in a bad movie?) The premise of the movie is this; Meryl plays a mother (Jane) of three grown kids. After a decade of divorce she has an amicable relationship with her ex-husband, attorney Jake (Baldwin). But when Jane and Jake find themselves out of town for their son’s college graduation, things happen. An innocent meal together turns into an unimaginable affair. Jake is remarried to the much younger and hotter Agnes (Lake Bell), for whom he left Jane 10 years prior. Jane is now the other woman.
So the question the movie explores is whether a divorced couple can really move backwards and/or is it possible to rekindle an old flame? Do all ex-lovers carry with them unfinished business, especially if there are children involved?
What do you think?

AlwaysMum

Asked by AlwaysMum at 8:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Haven't seen it yet, good question. I don't think it's always true, but I do think it is very likely to be true particularly in this scenario. When there is cheating/and or "moving on" without closure or time to "learn the lessons" of the previous relationship before moving on to new ones, not only can there be unfinished business with the ex but also unfinished business with oneself. I think there are many problems today in relationships and the individual's ability to have a successful relationship due to all the rushing. Rushing into relationships, rushing out of them and rushing on to new ones before taking any time to heal, learn and make wise choices.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Not always. My son's father, the only unfinished business I have would be a knife in his loser heart. Actually, that would be a waste of my energy and time. My recent ex, yes we have unfinished business and I think he even realizes that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I'm sure it happens.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• not me and my ex's but my husband and his obviously cuz he cheated on me with one.. and they didnt have kids..
    Anonymous

• Not always. My ex-husband and I do not have any unfinished business, unless you want to count me carrying out one of the 50,000 ways I've plotted to kill him. I did have unfinished business with an ex, got back together, discovered he was crazy, and promptly dumped him. Now I can honestly say that I have no unfinished business with any exes. I do think some relationships (non relationships? not sure how to refer to it) can end up with some unfinished business, but not all.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My ex-husband and I have absolutely no unfinished business. He's a nice guy for someone else and he's happy that I'm happy now.

My husband and his ex-wife have nothing but animosity between them. I have no idea what's in her mind, but my husband has no wishful feelings for her whatsoever.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i do believe that in rare cases between exes, there may be unfinished business. my ex and i were together for almost two years, we lost a baby together and we were each others first love, so now, yes there is unfinished business. he and i still keep in touch, and we meet up to talk and hang out and somehow it always leads to sex. both of us know theirs unfinished business, both of us have tried seeing other people and every time, it doesnt work out. so who knows, maybe we'll officially get back together soon, but for right now, its complicated!
    mommytobe2691

Answer by mommytobe2691 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2009