Sleep and weaning.

So my daughter just recently started sleeping in her crib...She turns one on friday!! SO its really nice having the bed to my self. Also she has been sleeping threw the night...and for like 12 hours at a time. When she slept with me she would nurse all night long. She eats right before she goes to sleep. Is that pretty normal?? Or is she just strange. Haha. Also is it going to make weaning easier??

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is WHAT going to make weaning easier? Not co-sleeping?

No. Many women's babies (if left to their own devices) sleep separate from them and are still nursing once or twice a day at 2 or 3.

If you mean weaning that you spurn, I imagine that not co-sleeping would make it easier because at some point she probably could initiate nursing sessions herself while you were sleeping... heh.. so now that she can't initiate nursing sessions while you sleep yes, weaning in that sense would be easier.

It's a lot of work to wean them when they're not ready to wean. You should drop one nursing session per week and leave the ones before naps and before bed for last.

No, it's not unusual that she nursed once and slept for 11-12 hours. My son has been doing that since he was 8 months old (besides bad teething days then he wakes up 2-3 times for a couple days)
    Anonymous

• It sounds like to me that weaning her is going to be much easier and maybe she woke up more when she was next to you not necessarily because she needed fed but because she wasn't getting good sleep. I can't sleep with my son because he tosses and turns so much (apparently he can't sleep next to me lol). I think it is perfectly normal.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We coslept until my daughter started sleeping through the night at around 14 months. She self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2009