My two month old had pertusis and had to be treated. Anyone else experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can't say I have. My kids were vaccinated. The good news is now yours is too. Unfortunately it happens. The viruses are not gone and anyone susceptible (infants and unvaccinated elderly) can get them. For that matter even vaxxed kids can still get the disease. Hope your is feeling better. Hugs!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• What do they do for babies with pertussis? I had it 3 years ago (and I was fully vaccinated and up to date on my boosters, just for the record). It was mild for me, but I know it's worse for babies.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• That's one of the illnesses that the vax is only around 70% effective. My siblings and I were not vaxed for it and my little brother got it at about 9. He was sick for a week, but not really very sick at all. It was like a cold.

It ran rampant through my friend's school last winter-- she teaches 2-4 year olds. It's def on the up swing and making a come back. The kids in her class never got that sick, just spent about a week out of school. I have no experience with infants getting it.

Blessings of health to your family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2009