What's your take on excersaucers/walkers?

Some people and researchers say it's bad for the baby's bone/hip growth but I was in a walker from 4 months until I could walk on my own and have had no problems. My 6 month old son has been using the excersaucer for a couple months now and he loves it. He puts him at the same level as me sitting on the floor as well as the TV for the moments I need to run out of the room for a few seconds. I also have a Bumbo. He loves the Bumbo too but not on the floor as it's colder on the floor. So I sit him on the kitchen table while I'm cooking dinner or washing dishes. Is there a different/better alternative to these or does it not make a difference?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 9:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I LOVED LOVED LOVED the exersaucer (and so did my son)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I used the exersaucer and bumbo for brief periods (15min tops) and baby enjoyed it. It didn't use it to replace the time I spent iwth him but as a diversion while I showered or cooked/washed dishes.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I LOVED the exersaucer for my DD, I put her in there and put her in the bathroom while I showered, or while I was cooking, cleaning, etc. I think it is a great way to get your child up off the floor and keeping them entertained. I wouldn't ever use a walker, like the kind you put baby in, just because of kids falling down stairs, etc. I wouldn't risk it.
    Anonymous

• I love them....he loved them . Buy watch out with the bimbo on a high surface ...accidents happen because of that. Ot happened to on cafemom on one of my groups she felt so guilty (baby is ok now)
    Momdenoe

Answer by Momdenoe at 9:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Sorry so many typos lol I'm on my iPhone and the keyboard is tiny. I meant " but watch out...and Bumbo seat not bimbo hahaha
    Momdenoe

Answer by Momdenoe at 9:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I didnt want to use one cause I didnt know if my son really needed it. My son wasn't using his legs as much as he should be so I decided to use it. 3 days after he was in it he started to use his legs alot. So the excersaucer was awesome!

Danielle Shellhorn
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    Email-Thisfamilyrocks@gmailcom
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 9:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I think in moderation they are fine. My daughter is never in one of those for longer than about 15 mins (like if I run to change my laundry out). Most of the time she is on the floor.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I've used excersaucers, bouncers and the jumper my son loves loves them.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• They are fine in moderation. Lily loves her excersaucer, her bouncy seat, her swing, her tummy time mat. She also has a high chair that leans back she sits in when we eat dinner. she has a front pack carrier she likes to face forward and see everything that is going on. She doesnt have a jolly jumper yet. she is four and a half months old we do not have a bumbo seat yet either she can sit up with help so she may like it. 

lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• The research is for babies being left in them for longer than 15min. Most kids from my generation (80's babies) were left in them for a couple hours at a time, both my husband & I being amongst those babies, & we both now have leg problems (his knees are under-developed & do this weird popping thing quite often, & I have problems with weak ankles as well as my knees popping completely out of the socket at least once a year...not to mention the fact I'm also knock-kneed now). I'd say you're fine as long as you're not using it as a cheap babysitter, but only for playing in 10-15min intervals. Never leave your baby in there for longer than this because there CAN be consequences down the line.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2009