I have this terrible rash on my tummy that wont quit itching is this normal for when your preg.?

its below my belly button and its itched so bad its raw i tried putting stuff on but im still not having any luck!

prettyface_

Asked by prettyface_ at 9:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can try over the counter cortisone or some Aveeno product. As long as it's not just dry skin?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Actually, this sounds crazy but I just watched a pregnancy show and the girl in it had a rash all around her belly.. it spread all over, the doc gave her cortizone cream and after the baby was delivered it went away. I know that didn't help much, sorry..
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You should contact your doctors office just to be on the safe side, and ask what they suggest. But the OTC cortisone creams help with the itch for now!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I had something like this happen to me a few months ago. I tried cortisone creams, and steroid creams. They had to put me on a steroid pack, and it finally dried it up. We thought originally it was poison ivy since my SO had it, but the doctor soon ruled that out. It lasted for a little over a month. Still don't know what it really was or what caused it.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

Its called Pupps. IF that is what the rash is the only thing is to deliver the baby. You should call your dr and let them know about it

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Up to 1 percent of pregnant women develop a condition characterized by itchy, red bumps and larger patches of a hive-like rash on their bellies. This is called pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP) or polymorphic eruption of pregnancy.

PUPPP usually begins in the third trimester and is more common among women carrying twins and those having their first baby. The eruptions usually show up first on the abdomen around or in stretch marks (if you have any) and may spread to your thighs, buttocks, and arms. PUPPP is harmless for you and your baby, but it can itch like crazy!

Your doctor or midwife will want to see you for a diagnosis and will probably prescribe a topical ointment to give you some relief. She may also recommend an antihistamine. In severe cases, you may need a course of oral steroids.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• PUPPP usually disappears within a few days after delivery, although it sometimes persists for several weeks. (In rare cases, it may even begin after you give birth.) Fortunately, it seldom appears again in subsequent pregnancies.

Even more rare than PUPPP is a skin condition called prurigo of pregnancy (or papular eruptions of pregnancy), which is characterized by many tiny bumps that may look like bug bites. These eruptions can occur anywhere on your body, but you're most likely to get them on your hands, feet, arms, and legs.

Although the eruptions can be itchy and annoying, prurigo of pregnancy appears to pose no risk to your baby. This condition generally starts around the beginning of the third trimester and may last for up to three months after you give birth.
    Mrs.Owen86

• In very rare cases, a pregnant woman will develop very itchy eruptions that start out like hives and then turn into large blistering lesions. This rash is called pemphigoid gestationis (or herpes gestationis, although it has nothing to do with herpes virus). The eruptions often start on the abdomen and spread to the arms and legs.

This condition is considered more serious than PUPPP because it may be associated with an increased risk for preterm delivery and fetal growth problems. It usually begins in the second or third trimester, but it can start anytime — even in the first week or two after you have your baby.

Pemphigoid gestationis can come and go throughout pregnancy, and it often flares up after delivery as well. It usually happens again in subsequent pregnancies and tends to be more severe.

.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Let your caregiver know if you develop any kind of rash during pregnancy. Whether or not the rash is related to your pregnancy, it's a good idea to have your caregiver evaluate it and recommend appropriate treatment or refer you to a dermatologist.

Hope this helps
    Mrs.Owen86