can I ignore the dentist?

Hi, I lost part of one of my cavity fillingds from years ago. I feel like I have a blade in my mouth. Wha's left feels really sarp but I am not in pain and hate the dentist. I rather cut my toungle than visiting the dentist. Can I ignore it and not go.

nycsexymommy

Asked by nycsexymommy at 9:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Health

• Yes, but it will become worse. It can become infected, and eventually you will lose your tooth regardless. It can also cause bad breath (as food can get stuck in the opening).. Trust me, an infected or abscessed tooth is not something you want to deal with if you don't like pain. I would rather have somebody saw off a limb without anesthesia than have that happen.

Anonymous

• i'm not sure about the saw off a limb part but I definitely agree that 859anon's right. Go and get nitrous oxide if you're that scared and no pregnant. but make sure that you're put on pure oxygen after the nitrous. You're lucky op that you're not in pain. If you wait too long your tongue will get cut from that tooth plus the tooth could get infected.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• If you let it go, it could rot and require a root canal, or worse you could loose the whole tooth. Just go to the dentist. It's not really that bad!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You can also ask your doc for a xanax or other anti-anxiety med if your fear is enough to keep you from seeking treatment.

Anonymous

• I would strongly suggest having a dentist take care of it because food will continue to get inside that tooth and it will become infected and could cause an abscess. Eventually you will NEED a root canal. Pharmacies actually sale a product that you can use yourself to fill the whole in your tooth from a loss filling. I have never tried it but it's something that could work temporarily. Just remember that you should still get it permanently fixed at some point by a professional.

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Find a better dentist if you are this afraid then your dentist isn't very good.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You CAN ignore it, and not go to a dentist for years and years, but it will eventually catch up with you, you will have such terrible tooth pain you will be forced to seek help. By then it will be too late and all your teeth will have to be pulled and you will end up with dentures. How do I know this? I was terrified of dentists too, and although I made the kids go regularly, and they even had braces during their teen years, I refused to go. Dentures are not much fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• it gets ALOT worse i am terrified of the dentist i had my doctor give me an anti anxiety med so i could go i took it a half hour before then made sure i had a ride home and child care for my son for the dya cause i was loopy for about 6 hours also i took along my ipod so i coudl listen to music not the sound of the office and it made it bearable and then when it was all over the pain was gone so it was good
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Go to the dentist. Many dentists now offer gas, headphones with your choice of music, and anything else you need to help you relax.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have to have anti-anxiety meds the night before & morning of my appointments. AND have to have the Nirtus as soon as I get there. But I would go if I were you, to prevent tooth pain - which is the WORST pain in the WORLD. I would rather give birth naturally then have tooth pain.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2009