question about how to use sewing patterns....

a friend of mine gave me a huge bag of some sewing patterns. Many of them are from 1960! So as you can imagine, they are very vintage-style patterns. Well some of them are for "teens" or "young women", perhaps because of the style, but all of them are for a smaller size than I am. I feel a bit silly asking this question and I hope it doesnt sound confusing...I laid out the pattern and it alone won't fit me. So do I just copy the pattern but make it MY size? Will that really make a difference? Are the patterns more or less only a guide? I ask these questions because I have never really followed a pattern before. Most clothes I have made were guesses or copied from something I already had.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I usually measure myself and then measure the pattern. I use the same pattern but extend the pattern lines accordingly. Patterns are a guide for a particular layout. Hope that made sense.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• yes thank you very much! I just wasnt sure. I sure wish I had a rotary cutter! lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• you can get a cheap one at a fabric shop.
    i have a book called how to draft your owon patterns, its from the 70's but it tells you how to draft patterns from old ones and create your own. it might help.

whew i wishi had a box of mystery patterns haha
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• thank you ladies!!!! :o) I'd love to challenge myself and try out these patterns. they are so vintage!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009