Joining the army and marines is selfish

am I the only one that thinks people WITH kids who join the marines and army KNOWING they will be gone for a year at a time on deployments is selfish? Why not join the AF or navy where deployments are fewer and shorter? Is it just for the money? I think it is really selfish. Army/marines should be for single men n women with no kids. Whats your input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• i dont think its selfish. I dont like the idea of serving and why they exist, but i think that they believe that they are doing something admirable and i find that brave. I dont think its for the money. My cousin was in the army and he was there for a while and the pay is not that much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The pay is much if they are deployed. AF and navy dont get that much because they dont deploy as often..............im just saying army and marines because they make MORE money......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I think joining any of them is selfish when you have kids, but if there spouse can support them then whatever, I know that if my husband wanted to join now I would not support him, cuz I didn't have our children to do it all alone, but for all the mommas that can stand by there man, well you have to be one strong women but it's not my cup of tea.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• but my dh is airforce. He has been in for over 4 years and has not been gone one single time.........is that selfish? He joined the af for that reason!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• air force doesn't deploy as often, the regular pay, housing and such are better. I think serving your country is self LESS not selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I dont think it is really selfish if another parent is going to be there for the children and you have a big family also ( like grandparetns, aunts, uncles, etc) ..but it is something I would never do...

My brother is in the Air Force and really wants to start having kids or atleast planning on them ( hima nd his fiance are getting married this summer) ... but he getting deployed for 5 months to iraq ( in 2011) ...so she is holding out until he gets back before getting pregnant, because she isnt going to do it alone...I think she is really smart !!!
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My husband is in the Army and is currently deployed. We have a one-month old baby that was born on Thanksgiving. He was here for the delivery. I married him after he'd been in for 4 1/2 years and we planned on having children. No, I don't think he is selfish. I think that he is a wonderful, courageous, loving man who is serving his country while providing for his family.
    lvnmysldr

Answer by lvnmysldr at 1:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I don't know if I would say it's selfish but I AM thankful my dad was always there growing up. It's got to be tough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I think you have NO idea the price our grandparents paid and you should probably learn a lot more about history.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Hmmmm....why do you suppose that the marines and army get more money? Could it possibly be because they are in harms way during a complete deployment??? These people are doing what your husband is not, not because he is less selfish, but because he chose differently. Thank them and shut up.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2009