REALLY nervous

I have my 38 weeks appt tomorrow and I am sooooo nervous they are going to tell me I am dilating already. The doctor also said that if I am they will want to strip my membranes, but I don't want them to. I need this baby to stay in for just a little while longer so that daddy doesn't miss her birth! any suggestions on what to do to slow the process if i am already dialting?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if you're already dilating, the only thing you can do is rest, rest, and rest.
    and as for the dr's, just tell them that you don't want anything done to you. as a matter of fact, i would refuse getting my cervix checked to make sure that don't do a "rough" exam on you.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Well, if baby can't wait any longer, you might want to try to "cam-cord" the event, live, if your DH's far away and can't make it in time, or in the military.  But, I wouldn't be nervous, but I know that can't be helped. 

Unless you're a high-risk pregnancy, you need to find out why they want to strip your membranes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• they just want to strip them if I am dilating because it is routine at this hospital/practice, but I am going to refuse that part because I know it can start contractions. I would much rather everything start on it's own. and i do have a camcorder just in case, still crossing my fingers that this baby stays put until after hubby gets home!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I would make sure and tell them you don't want them to strip your membranes and like the first poster said you can refuse to let them check you as well. And I agree with resting a whole bunch..I would try to stay off your feet and just be lazy for a while. Good luck with and congrats on your new baby! :)
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• IF you are going to have the baby then there is nothing you can do.
    But you never NEED to get checked. Why have your cervix even checked at all??
    Then there is no accidental membrane stripping...
    Which is also completely optional.
    Just because something is "routine" does not ever mean you MUST agree.
    If you don't consent they can not-should not do it.
    Better yet, avoid the "routine" cervix check.
    Many women never get checked in their pregnancies, of course!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• it would be totally normal if you were dilated and wouldn't mean anything. you could be dilated a few cm for weeks. just say no to stripping the membranes. it's that simple. you are in control of your body. i wouldn't get my membranes stripped unless there was a reason i needed to deliver sooner than later (ie medical problem, borderline pre-e, or something like that) because there are risks to that procedures and i don't see any benefits in your situation
    Anonymous

• you also might want to spend the next couple of weeks searching for a new provider/birth place because they sound really interventionist. ick!
    Anonymous