Does people really complain because their kids friends eat at their house?

I am scratching my head after reading another question on here. It was on the line of kids eating at her house an they were on food stamps. ( the kids eating)
Do people seriously complain about their kids friends eating there?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As I answered in the other question; growing up there was food that I knew was ok to eat & share with friends after school; and what food was for family meals and such that wasn't to be touched; etc....

It really isn't hard; especially with teenagers; to give them boundries to follow and have them control their guests...my parents would never have told my friends to go eat at home! They would have told me to tell them; or simply tell me that we're not allowed to eat xyz any more. Not to tricky!

We usually pooled our cash together and ordered a pizza or chinese take out anyway; teens always have $5 laying around they can pool together...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Well, these are hard times. If the family is barely scraping by to feed their own family then yes, I'd say they have a right to complain about teenagers eating them out of the house. Ya know?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I only allow my son to have friends over to eat once a week. Dinner time is family time and my children need time with family. They are with their friends all day at school and in sports before and after school. They don't need to be around them all evening and at dinner too. These kids have families too and their parents should be spending time with them over dinner at their own homes. I don't bust my ass to feed the entire neighborhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I just have a hard time understanding this. I guess I just look at things differently. I have always fed my sons friends and just can't imagine not doing so.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:59 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Anon I am curious as to what age your son is.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My boys are 12 and 11 and I expect when they have friends over (well at least overnight) that they are going to raid the kitchen when I go to bed. So I buy inexpensive snacks like apples, Doritos, and I also bake something (which costs me next to nothing) and make a pitcher of juice or something. I might buy a 2 liter of Sprite. All that together might cost me $6-$8. But that is only once a week. If they were doing it daily, I'd have to say no. They also know what they are and are not allowed to eat because I don't buy a lot of excess food that isn't planned for meals or something. I have shelves in my kitchen and I put their snack foods on the top shelf and drinks on the table. They know when that runs out they are done. And if one of them is staying the night and needs dinner at our house its okay because most of my meals are inexpensive (i cook from scratch) and I make enough for leftovers on purpose so it doesn't bother me
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:16 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I can see that lady's point since she did say they don't have much money for food but the kids that are coming over, their families are getting much more money for food. I would probably be upset too if I had someone eating me out of house and home and knew they had more food available at their own home than I did in mine. Especially struggling to feed my own family. But...I'd also say that if you know it's a problem then you have to put limits on what your kids and their friends are allowed access to. Just telling the kids what is off limits should solve the problem.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Ronjwake: I feed my kids friends also, but there is a limit. You can't be expected to feed two or three extra mouths every day.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Well, my child is far too young for this, but I can say that I used to have a friend that always seemed to show up around dinner time with her five year old. As soon as they walked in the kid would say "I'm hungry" she'd always then ask "Whatcha cooking?" and no matter what I said she would say "That's my faaaaaaavorite!!!" It was almost as if her mother had her trained. So I can imagine that would get annoying and quite old after a while.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My son is 15. He has many friends from good homes and they like us raise their kids and spend time with them. I could not imagine my son eating at a friends all the time and missing out on time with family. So many kids spend far too much time with friends and not enough with family. Dinner time is family time and we eat around our table. I feel sorry for those families who don't eat together and their kids would rather be elsewhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2009