What kind of car seat do I need?

Right now I have a Graco Snugride and on the website it says that the height limit for it is 26 inches and the weight limit is like 20lbs. I'm not sure how long or how tall my son is now (4 months) but at 2 months he was 13.5 lbs and 25 inches. I'm considering getting the Costco Scenera but I'm wondering if it's a good idea because he can't sit up alone yet and I don't want him to be flopped over in the seat. Suggestions?

MrsBrintae

Asked by MrsBrintae at 12:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can either opt to get a car seat that reclines or you can just leave him in the infant seat. My 10 month old is still in the infant seat because I find that it has more of a recline than any of the toddler seats. Mine does have a higher weight limit but I'm sure he will exceed it soon. I use it because the chances of getting hit in the rear are far greater than front on. If hit behind the baby's head will fly backwards and possibly be injured if in a straight up toddler car seat. You have to pick and choose.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• What ever you do just pick one that faces the rear, he can't sit forward until he is a year.. even if he is a big tall boy... I would just shop around take him to babies r us and put him in every seat they have and see which one you like...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Convertible carseats are made to recline too. At 4 months your baby is plenty big enough to use a rear facing convertible seat. Most are able to accomodate newborns just fine so a 4 month old shouldn't have any problem. Just be sure you get a seat that rear faces. Babies have to be rear facing until they are at least 1 year old and weigh over 20 lbs.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I Have a Graco My Ride and I love it It weight is from 5-40 lbs rear-facing , 40 to 65lbs forward facing. I love the seat and i can keep her rear facing as long as possible. And she can stay in it untill she is 65lbs with a harness. It was a great investment cause i don't have to buy her a new seat for a long time .
    BellazBabyMomma

Answer by BellazBabyMomma at 2:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I got an eddie bauer one for my DD that reclined. She loved it and it was well worth the extra money. It went from newborn-40 lbs but we didn't buy it for her til she was 12 months old. She kept it and loved it til she turned 5, and she just got too tall for it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The height limit is a rough guide. As long as your child has one inch of hard shell above their head, they are not too tall for the seat. A Scenera is a good buy, and will rear face to 35 lbs, but will only forward face to 40, at which time, you'd probably want to invest in another seat that harnesses a bit longer. (if you plan to EH, which I'd recommend, since at 40 lbs most kids are not ready for a booster) I always recommend the True Fit, which runs a bit under $200, RF to 35 and FF to 65. It's cushy, and has a deep seat, which helps accommodate long legs.  Feel free to ask any ?'s you might have.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• FYI, from someone who has read about car seats and goes on a good car seat website full of woman who have passed there course on it. Well, your baby can still ride rear facing past 1 year of age.
    Anonymous