We just took in a german shepherd puppy...

Hi, We just took in a german sheperd puppy about 4 months. I of course have to train her. She loves to chew and bite so i got her all kinds of toys and chewing stuff for her. I am scared of german shepherd's i know they are know to bite. How do you train them? She is great with me my husband and my son, i am just worried she might get protective over us and bite someone. any info you can give me or if you have one how are they? just any info you think will be helpful thanks so much

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 1:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pets

• We have a german shepherd who will be 4 on Friday. Yes, she will have a party. I love her dearly and I could not find a better baby sitter. I never have to worry about my kids playing in the yard. She won't let anyone near them. Now if I bring someone through the back door to the yard she's fine with them. She just figures that anyone coming to the fence instead of the door must not have been invited. She'll make a terrible rukus but has never bitten anyone. The first time she tried to bite when she was a pup I simply shoved my hand in her mouth further than she wanted it and left it there until she got the message. Biting doesn't feel good for her either. I've used this method on every dog I've ever owned and it has always worked. I've never had a biter.

always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 1:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• On the down side, I think that german shepherds were bread with billy goats. I swear that up until she was two she would eat anything. Things that did not survive her youth are: the swimming pool with the blow up ring around the top as well as anything else that blows up, all plastic flower pots, tents, blankets, towels and tin cans. I finally discovered that a good soccer ball was the answer. She loves to play soccer and she's a great goaly. The ball is so big that she can't get the leverage to bite into it but she can pick it up. Notice I said good soccer ball. The cheap ones are no better than blow up toys. Once she got her soccer ball she stopped chewing up everyone elses toys.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 1:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Check this site http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm
    or here's the link to German Shepards there http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshepherd.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Watch the dog whisperer o NatGeo
    Anonymous

• if you have fears about the dog and future behavior problems, you need a training helper. When the owner is nervous, the dog sees a weak pack leader and will run all over you.

1. Crate train. Dogs are den animals. It is good for them to have their own space to eat and sleep in and to have space to relax away from children. It will prevent future chewing problems and potty training issues.

2. Call Bark Busters. That is the training method we use. The trainer can out to the house several times and taught us to be good dog owners. Now, I have dogs other people beg to borrow. Sometimes they do doggie things like dig a hole or chase a squirrel, but we have NO problems with commands and interactions.

3. If you can't afford a trainer, reevaluate why you have a dog. Dogs can be expensive. Especially if you don't train them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We have a 4 1/2 year old pit bull, she was raised with our 3 year old and we have a 9 month old now. She loves them, loves us and loves other animals. It's not a breed thing, I have a lot of experience and I dont care what anyone says. You raise the puppy and treat it well. If you aren't abusive to the dog and train it then it will be fine, protective yes but it shouldnt just go out and bite someone when raised by a responsible dog owner. Any questions just msg me, i've been around dogs all my life. My Mom even owned 3 german sheps.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Hi! We have a german shepherd who is a year and a half old. Of course she loves to chew and bite (not hard, just playing). But she's only a puppy, so that's normal. We teach her to "be nice". German shepherds are protective of their families, which is one of the reasons we got one. But I think if you socialize your puppy, you should be ok. Be sure to play with her a lot. Let her be around other people and play with them too. Are there any other puppies she can play with? Or even other animals? Our girl has been raised with another dog and kittens/cats. You can also start training her. Shepherds are very smart and love to learn and work. Good luck!! They're a great breed!!!!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Socialization is the biggest thing I think! Make sure she is current on ALL her puppy vaccines and if she is take her to place where she can interact with people. I use to take my pups in to Petsmart, that way you can walk them around and don't be affraid to ask people to come talk to your dog and pet her. The more she gets now the better. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The best thing you can do is socialize her. Get her out in public around as many people and other dogs as possible. I would also enroll her in a good training class. You also need to relax because if this dog sences your fear she will see you as week and try to become the pack leader and that is your roll. German shephards tend to be a mouthy breed so whenever she puts her mouth on you whether it hurts or not say " ouch" this will teach her not to bite hard and eventually teach her not to put her mouth on you at all. Consistantcy is the key.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If you have a Petsmart or a PetCo near by they have a training program that is about $100.00 but could be less where you are, anyway I took my puppy there 3yrs ago & well I honestly can say hes our best friend & very good with other people but at the same time he knows when to protect us. Hes very watchful when I take him to the park. just make sure you let her interact with other dogs & people.
    acollins1503

Answer by acollins1503 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2009