What is the best way to get my baby use to sleeping alone?

My daughter will be a year on the 31st. She still sleeps in our bed since she is still waking up twice a night to have a bottle. What is the best way to go about getting her to sleep in her crib? I can not let her cry it out....any other suggestions? Any helpful books??????

AngJoline

Asked by AngJoline at 3:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Girl! I am waiting for replys, too. I have a four year old that is extremely attatched to me. I lay with her in bed until she falls asleep. As soon as she does not feel me next to her, she gets out of her bed and into mine. Its so bad that it interfears with our sex life. how old is your kids?
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We use to keep the crip next to our bed and we placed our daughter there. Because we were so close to each other she would not cry. I slowly moved the crip to the other end of the room. we tried moving the crib to the next room but she would cry as if someone was trying to hurt her. it would freak us out so we brought her back. maybe this was our mistake..
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I would say put her there for nap times, and times that you are still awake and not ready for bed. Then one night a week then two etc. I know you don't want her to cry it out but sometimes that is best, if she cries and gets her way it is teaching her bad habits. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Sleep training is the most valueable life skill a child can master. I'm not bashing your choice to co-sleep with your child, to each their own, but you need to stop this now. Your child is still very young & can be taught to sleep alone. First, at 1, your daughter should not be waking up twice a night to take a bottle. She should have one right before bed & that's it. (Put some cereal in it, it won't kill her, trust me.) Put her in her crib about an hour before her bedtime w/ some toys. Let her play in there & get used to being in her crib. The first couple nights, stay there w/ her and play w/ her. The next few nights, stay in the room but not right by the crib, tidy things up or sit and read a magazine. Each night you do this put her down a little closer to bedtime & cut out a toy. After that, put her down & stand in the doorway. By this time she should be used to being in the crib & should fall sleep by herself. (cont.)
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• (cont.) If she wakes up in the middle of the night, don't rush over to her. This is sending the message that "Mommy will come everytime I cry & maybe take me back to her bed." I'm not saying let her scream for an hour. But let her cry for a few minutes, she might have had a bad dream or lost her blankie or something. If she doesn't stop after a few minutes, go in & check on her. Don't be quick to give her a bottle. Maybe she's teething, put some oragel on her gums. She could be waking up from pain & not hunger. If you do need to give her a bottle, keep the lights off & don't talk to her. If she can hold the bottle herself, great. Give it to her & walk away. If you need to change her, again, keep the lights off. Teaching a child to self soothe & put themselves back to sleep will save you so much aggravation down the road. My son has never slept in our bed & has been in a crib since say one. He's 1 now & sleeps 12 hours a night.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Good luck!
    Born2BAMommy5

• So I got her to stop taking a bottle in the middle of the night. I just stopped giving it to her. She moved around a lot and fussed but now she knows how to put herself back to sleep. So I think next week I will try putting her in her crib
    AngJoline

Answer by AngJoline at 10:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009