Would this be good to tell a judge?

"How are we making the community a safer place by issuing a penalty to a working, legal, registered owner of a trailer whose license plate was misplaced by an natural act of physics?
If you can explain that to me then I will gladly pay my fine."

My husband was driving to work with his utility trailer and a police pulled him over and gave him a ticket because the plate blew off of his trailer. He had the registration with him. Right after he got the ticket, not even 10 minutes, another police pulled him over for the same thing.
I told him to show up to court. Would this be a good thing for him to say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• NO if you are a smart butt in court the judge will not take you seriously and will make you pay anyways. Just explain it like an adult with no sarcasm and most likely the judge would dismiss it or at least one of the tickets.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Oh and if you try to give an ultimatum to a judge that really is never a good idea.

"If you can explain that to me then I will gladly pay my fine." That is a perfect example of an ultimatum
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• nah it'll never fly. my dimwitted husband once received a ticket for speeding, no less, and the cop gave him a ticket -mind you NOT a warning, and my husband told me the cop said that he should go to court the day required if not fighting it and that the could would cancel the ticket. I told hubby dingaling that if the officer didn't want him to have a ticket he'd have given a warning instead!!!!! Well in to court marched my husband all set to see this officer and get his ticket removed. Was the cop there? NOPE!! My husband came home furious that the officer was a noshow and he had to pay the ticket!!!!!

I think your hubby might have a chance if somehow he can prove in a timed picture that seconds before that ticket the plate was on the vehicle.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Not wise to piss off a judge. The better thing to do is bring the paperwork showing he in fact did have a plate at on the day of the incident and explain to the judge that it did come off. But it is very unwise to smart mouth a judge, you can be held in contempt and in jail for that.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• never mouth off to cops or judges. Did he inform the second cop that he just got a ticket previously and he was finishing towing the trailer to a safe area so he could take care of the matter? I mean your at fault. The plates wasn't secured to the trailer and it blew off. Find your paperwork showing it was tagged, get another plate and pay your fine. I would fight the second ticket. Unless of course your husband just continued on his way whereever and wasn't planning on fixing the problem ASAP. Then suck up the second ticket too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Should never smart off to a judge. What does that do anyway? Makes you look ignorant. Since you say it was within 10 minutes from the last ticket, show both tickets to the judge. The times are on there and he will probably dismiss the second 1.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Don't ever get "smart" in court. Judges do not like that! Just have your husband explain - in a calm matter-of-fact manner - that the plate was there, it blew off, and he was trying to get to a safe place to store it until he could get another plate. The first ticket will probably stick. The 2nd - you might get that one thrown out.

Oh - on a side note - usually when in traffic court - if you are fighting a ticket, if the cop doesn't show, then the ticket gets voided.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• He needs to bring a replacement plate to court; chances are the judge will dismiss.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I would just get the replacement plate and show the judge it is fixed. Most judges will dismiss a ticket if the problem has been solved by the court date. heck I got out of a suspended license ticket because I got my license back by the time I had my court date.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• DH should explain what happened without any extraneous details. He will probably not have to pay the second ticket. But, if he just got pulled over 10 minutes prior, did he show the next cop the ticket he just got? Was the cop that big a d***? This is what I would ask if I was the judge. When I had to go to traffic court (had to go twice because of the same thing because the cop didn't show & they did NOT just void the ticket, they made me come 2 weeks later, when he could show up) the judge was pretty lenient on people who had tickets that weren't moving violations. People who had multiple violations & more severe ones are who she was hard on but, that's just in my county.

DH should not challenge the judge or the law in ANY WAY. I also personally, would not even mention as part of my argument that am a working, legal resisident. I wouldn't bring politics into it like that. To make me sound better I might say I was(cont'd)
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2009