anyone know of a cocker spaniel who loses feelings in back legs

my cocker had this same episode about 2 months ago but this time she is totally unable to use her back legs and it has been 4 days since it started. We took to er vet and they gave us little hope. my dog is only 5 she is still young... please help someone.

mkohajda

Asked by mkohajda at 4:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Did the vet tell you what was wrong with the dog? Was it a stroke?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Did they find a tumor???
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Pinched nerve in lower back.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Just guessing here, Happened to my other service dog before we had to put her down(she was 16 and retired)
    But it could be something else. Does your dog still have trouble with her back legs? This may sound pricey, but you can request an MRI to find out for sure. I wish you the best of luck!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Could be a developing neurological issues. There are so many possibilities. I hope you find some answers!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• There could be so many underlying issues. Could be a type of degenerative myopathy (the coating in the nerves and spine dissolve). Our wolfhound had been diagnosed with DM, but we had an MRI done, yes VERY expensive, and he had 3 blown discs in his lower back.

Could be as simple as a pinched nerve that will heal with time. If it is permanent is your dog a candidate (and family) for a wheeled cart? There are some great options available for "handicapped" dogs.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009