h1n1 for 16mo

does anyone have any good advice on whether I really need the follow up shot; since I'm not comfortable with it anyway and DH thinks its a good idea.

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 5:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have never heard of a follow up shot. Our daughter had the swine flu shot and she is 8 months
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:59 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• if you're talking about the 2nd shot in the series I wouldn't bother. The h1n1 flu has calmed down all across the country, when was the last time you heard it mentioned on the news?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:52 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• More than 5 million doses of PEDIATRIC H1N1 have recently been RECALLED because the dosage has been found to be INEFFECTIVE!

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/12/24/more-h1n1-vaccine-recalled-for-the-best-reason-one-would-want-a-vaccine-pulled-off-the-shelves-but-still.aspx

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34432437/ns/health-cold_and_flu/

And I agree with the above poster. Swine Flu as not turned into the pandemic of the century. If anything, a NEW strain will develop, which will not be preventable by the current vaccine, so they'll need to start over from scratch!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Our pediatrician said our son only needed to get 1 shot but some of my friends, who go to other clinics, were told they need 2. I think it is up to you. We only are going to get 1.
    The H1N1 illnesses have decreased in our area... but I work on as an RN on a pediatrics floor and our manager said that they expect another wave in February based on trends... so I don't think we are in the clear.
    As far as children I've seen... if your child has any history of respiratory problems, like with asthma or wheezing with colds... I would get the shot. The kids that I've seen that are sicker than sick all have had a history of asthma.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2009